Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Method Of Korean Coin Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 856Next Topic  
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
464 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  12:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All,

I have been working for a little while now to make a tool for aiding in the identification of Korean coins; specifically Joseon Dynasty Korean cash coins. Western sources are either misinforming or outdated and unchanged, leaving many western collectors to attribute incorrect dates for the different mints of Joseon. The information on this tool utilizes western sources for English "names" of mints, but Joseon/Korean sources for dates and variations as of DEC 2020. Currently only the cash/cast coin part of the site is finished and even that has some work to be done with regards to additional variations to coins. This tool is currently most visually pleasing on PC.

I ask everyone to send Korean cash coin identification posts to this tool. Let me know what you guys think and what could make the site more streamline for a new collector. This tool requires no prior knowledge of hanja (Chinese characters); just the ability to match what is in your hand and what is on screen.

https://www.koreancoinlookup.com/sa...eong-tong-bo

How to use:
1) Get to the Sang Pyeong Tong Bo page linked above.

2) Scroll and match the top character on the back of the coin with the characters on the page. This character is the mint where the coin was made and determines the year at which mintage for that denomination began. (On very, very rare cases, the mint is on the sides as with the Jeonla Military Mint)

3) Scroll and match your coin with coin on page (some variants not available yet). Use the English to attribute the denomination/variant and mint (at the top):

Thats it! Note that this will not tell you the exact year the coin was made; only the year or span of years when it was minted. Cast cash coins were used in Joseon until the mid 1890s, so if the date says 1731, you can assume that coins of that denomination at that mint were made from 1731 to the 1890s. One can also assume that more complex variations (varying characters on the bottom, left, and right positions) of the coin mean they were minted a little later down the timeline, but no source confirms this; only logic.
Edited by Lembafc
12/21/2020 12:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I nominate you as our resident Korean coin expert! !
Pillar of the Community
United States
7243 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This really is a great tool and a lot of hard work looks like it went into developing it. I personally might never use it b/c I collect very few coins fro outside the US and Canada. But I can sure appreciate this tool being made available.
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding learning tool. Well done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1362 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link. I'm a world coin collector but I haven't really gotten into the cast coins because I don't know much about them. Hopefully now I can add some into my collection.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
464 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I nominate you as our resident Korean coin expert! !

Thank you, but I think I'd only be the expert of Joseon cash coins. There are folks who know a lot more about the others. GXSeries for the modernized coins and Mlovmo for the coins we use currently.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5122 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting website.

Is there potential for computer scanning and comparison to identify the variations in these coins?

I just started atopic on this line of thinking and then saw this post. I can not read any of the characters and it seems a computer could do the work very fast.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bjherbison to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are cell phone apps that will try to identify coins. There is Coinoscope (which takes one side of the coin) and Maktun (which takes images of both sides of the coin for a search). Both are available on Android and Apple.

I tried both on the full coin shown in the topic (using the back side for Coinoscope) and both found the coin, but it wasn't the first option for either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice site...job well done.

KK
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
464 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for the comments. I have updated the mobile side of the site, so let me know what you guys think. I want to add a "take a picture" and compare tool, but its a little more difficult.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3349 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While going through what I had in Korean coins, I pulled out what I had. Been sitting around unidentified for the last decade or who knows how long. Not a big fan of cash coins and Korean cash coins are more confusing

I dont have much confidence in identifying them - please let me know if the description is wrong.

1752 Sang P'yong cash coin - 2 mun (described as seller). Weight: 4.84g

1752? 1 mun Gangwon Provincial Office. Weight: 5.76g

1752? 1 mun Gangwon Provincial Office. Weight: 4.52g Brass like

1888 Sang P'yong - 5 mun. From Kyonggi Provincial mint. 16th series. (seller's description). Weight: 4.82g
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
464 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Gxseries, nope. A few of yours are incorrectly attributed.

#1 is actually my favorite mint in Joseon coins. It is a Tongyeong Naval Office 2 Mun. The date is correct.

#2 and 3 are correct on the date, but they are from the Training Command Mint, not Gangwon.

#4 is correct, but its not '16th series'. The characters for '16' indicate it was made in the 16th furnace. Also this coin is especially wonderful because it is a "doubled obverse'. If you look at the characters there is doubling at least on the bottom and right characters. These are quite collectable (especially by error collectors like myself) in Korea.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3349 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the correction Lembafc!

Not a big fan of these cash coins as attributing them is just not my cup of tea.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 856Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05