Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

200th Post Woot! Woot! Contest Below

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 935Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
200th post!!

Thanks to all who have looked at my questions, many who responded and provided an education that has been fun.

So the prize first, then the contest:

1. One Lincoln Memorial cent 1959 D BU Roll -- Tube
2. One 2009 Lincoln Early Years (Log Cabin) Roll- OBW
3. One Kennedy 40% Silver AU
4. Two 1974 BU Lincoln Memorial cent rolls (1 Denver and 1 Philly) in tubes.

I have photos here of world coins, I'm posting either the obverse or reverse not both for each coin.

Whoever guesses the most correct and has the highest total by providing the country (3 points) OR continent (1 point), but not both (you can't get 4 points for a single coin) WILL WIN! Coin may be a commemorative one. From time of this edited post, you get 24 hrs to answer all, in one post please. If there are up to 4 people with all the right answers before 24 hours is up, these four move on to tiebreaker and the first round is closed.

For participating. you get to have some fun but no prize, also if there is a tie, I am posting more pics for another round for a tie breaker!

Here you go, if rules are confusing, please post what is the perceived issue. Good luck!

Edited by shantiom
12/22/2020 12:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
18600 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@shan, you should consider adding an end time to this round. I'm very glad to have you here and giving back a bit.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the milestone and thank you for the nice contest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the 200 posts!

First coin: Western African States, 25 francs

Second coin: Greece, 20 drachmai

Third coin: Singapore, 20 cents

Fourth coin: Italy, 100 lire

EDIT: Edited it to change "Western Africa" to "Western African States"
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Edited by SilverCents
12/22/2020 12:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5533 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats you may catch jbuck soon.

1/ Western African States - 25 francs CFA
2/ Greece 20 Drachmes
3/ Singapore 20 cents -1967 to 85
4/ Italy 100 Lire large type 1955 to 89
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I suppose that's that.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...two of you both gave right answers to all four coins , yet one was more complete than the other, so the winner is ...

@mcshilling

PM me your address please so I can mail the contest prize

Thanks for playing along!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awww...well...you never stated in the rules that we had to include the dates, or even the type of currency it was.

Not sure how fair that is.

What ever happened to round 2?

EDIT: Ah well, your contest your rules. Congrats Mcshilling.
Edited by SilverCents
12/23/2020 2:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SilverCent you raise a good point, looking at the rules, there was no mention of denomination, and your effort to explain that with your very speedy(!) reply was what prompted me to think those items were a fair assessment of an answer, and I applied that to the winning answers also. DM me if you want to know specifics.

It's all good here!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5533 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we should split the prize.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After some deliberation, we are having a round two, that's the only way, you both were right under the initial rules, and I did not apply them correctly. Ill post pics tomorrow of another set of 4 coins.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good. Also sorry for the late reply.

I was asleep.

Whatever works for mcshilling and you shantiom.
Learn More...
United States
31638 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe make them harder....
Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11360 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2020  04:53 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!
2nd round resumes with pics and historical numismatic questions.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2nd Round Questions (I reserve the right to have a question added should there be a tie at the end of the contest which is 12.00 AM Tuesday, Central Standard Time, USA):

1. What was the name of trade routes in the Indian Ocean that saw commerce between Africa, Europe and India as early as Greek and Roman times?

2. Which European was able to navigate a critical part of the Indian Ocean to eventually disrupt this trade route and set up various ports as colonies in a major spice hub?

3. In these new colonial conquests, how long did this colonizer have a foothold in this land?

4. What were the last 10 coins (name, value, mint year) issued by this colonizer in the land they continued to claim as theirs even after the colonized population was now part of a sovereign country?

5. Tie Breaker: Provide an obverse image of the 1st and 10th coin.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 935Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05