Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Houses Vs. Your Intentions

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 575Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  02:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This question might've been answered a million times already, but I don't have the inclination to read thru 12,000 forum posts. So here's my (possibly redundant) question regarding the better grading houses (PCGS, NGC ANACS)

Are there grading houses best used if you're looking to investment purposes and are there grading houses to use for just basic collector value -- for exampke just basic authentication and what you know will be a good overalk grade if you're not OCD puckayunish about things.

i ask this because I have a few coins that I'd rather have scrutinized to the Nth degree to peave ky heirs, and others that I'd like to have graded and slabbed by a reputable house at lower overwll price (i,e, ANACS vs. PCGS simply to have a reasonable grade and authenticity.

So there ya go. What's the pros and cons?
Edited by STTScott
01/03/2021 03:18 am
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS I hear is the cheapest by far, and by all means still gets you a respectable grading experience and provides that desired authentication and encapsulation. It is arguably the best way to go if all you're looking for is a fairly accurate grade and authentication.

There is plenty of chatter that, for the investor, PCGS is the best way to go. It is arguably the most trusted and thus tends to command the best prices at auction. But it can be a toss up with NGC vs PCGS, many decide by personal preference.

I will always like an NGC holder better but I don't have a few million dollars to spend at Stack's or Heritage, so that's just a run of the mill collector's opinion.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If resale value means something for that coin... PCGS followed by NGC. If it's a low to medium value coin for my own collection, ANACS. A few reason for that.

Love the angled top of the slab with coin info. Very easy to look down at a 20 coin slab holder and pull out the one I want.

$39 flat fee (up to 20 coins) for conservation. Vs paying per coin at the others. And also with NCS/NGC I hate having to submit any I want conserved separately from any I just want graded. With a submission fee for both. No submission fee at all with ANACS. I collect a lot of modern commemorative proofs. They get cloudy and spotted even in mint packaging. ANACS conservation brings them back to looking brand new. Those are low enough value they are barely worth the cost of grading. Def not worth the cost of $25-30 per coin conservation at the other two. Of my next submission, I have prob 10 that could benefit from conservation. That's $3.90 per coin with the flat fee. If it's a higher value coin with a more serious issue, then I'll likely send it to NCS/NGC.

Great specials. I'm Submitting 15 to 20 coins next week before their current special runs out.

More flexible. I can send US and world coins on the same submission sheet. NGC... two sheets with two submission fees.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3751 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS is certainly far more customer friendly than any of them .
Valued Member
United States
279 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To piggy back a little, I have a question regarding ANACS grading. I have several GSA Morgans that I am considering for ANACS grading with their current special, the GSA grading is $5/coin; someday those GSA Morgans will be sold, is there really a significant difference in price that would warrant bypassing the GSA Morgans being graded by ANACS vs NGC or PCGS?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To piggy back a little, I have a question regarding ANACS grading. I have several GSA Morgans that I am considering for ANACS grading with their current special, the GSA grading is $5/coin; someday those GSA Morgans will be sold, is there really a significant difference in price that would warrant bypassing the GSA Morgans being graded by ANACS vs NGC or PCGS?

I think it depends a little on how good of a grade the coin gets. 63,64 it's easy for people to trust ANACS got it right. 66, 67... people start to worry they weren't accurate. And since values can skyrocket with even one number grade difference, I think it amplifies the difference in perceived value between PCGS and ANACS.

Last year, during a similar special, I sent in some Ikes from the blue envelope. Mostly because I needed to get to my 12 min. But also because they had gotten cloudy over the years. Figured conservation would help with eye appeal.

Came back MS64-67. Two of the 67 were '71S. Didn't think much of it until I looked at the price guide. The mint did a crappy job that first year, so high grades in the uncirculated are rare. 67s are worth $275, 5x what a 66 is worth, 5x what a MS 67 in subsequent years are worth.

Followed ebay and Great collections for a while. 67s from PCGS and NGC were selling in the $200-$250 range. Sent my ANACS slabbed one to GC, got $110.

Of course flip side to that is, with the cloudiness I had no idea those two would grade that high. I bought them for basically melt value. Without the super cheap option of an ANACS special, I prob wouldn't even have had them graded.
Edited by Lancek
01/04/2021 12:28 pm
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your replies. They've been extremely helpful and helped me sleep better at night :)

So I've boiled it down like this: If you have something incredible, PCGS. If you have something nice (like semi-key dates in really great shape but not astounding where the cachet of a PCGS slab isn't really necessary, then NGC. (Especiallly because for some people, it could be a coin toss between the two even tho the edge might go to PCGS because of personal preference or the sizzle on the steak, but you still won't go wrong with NGC if you have an eye toward selling your stuff someday, especially for the cost vs. PCGS. Lastly, if you want a reliable grade and a slab and don't have a lot of cash to burn, then ANACS.

For example, I inherited a 1921-D Morgan (awesome details, but not huge collector demand) that might have been lightly cleaned at some point with, say, a pencil eraser as opposed to dipping or rubbing with a baking soda paste. I could just put it in a Mylar flip and relegate it to the "good but not good enough" section of the collection, but I still thin it's pretty special personally, so I'll end up sending it off to ANACS. If it comes back graded high, someday I might send it off to NGC for them to crack and grade and take my chances there and still not lose my shirt. It'll still sell pretty good in an NGC slab vs. an ANACS slab especially if the Morgan turns out to be not cleaned.

Of coruse, there are some grading houses to run -- not walk -- away from. An ANACS/NGC/PCGS slab will get your coin some respect among anyone not exactly intent on splitting hairs.

As always, opposing viewpoints welcome. Especially if I'm totally misguided on this.
Edited by STTScott
01/07/2021 1:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1793 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the grading house slabs break in a vice just about the same, so I have no preference.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5407 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good comments and a perpetually important topic.
My own experience suggests PCGS can be inconsistent on grades but I would definitely prefer them for high-value coins, especially when there is a big price increase for small grade differences. I have a few expensive coins in NGC holders that seem a tad overgraded.
ANACS is great for authentication and for determination of whether a coin has problems (cleaning, damage, etc.).
FYI, the 1921 Morgan in the OP's first post looks cleaned. I would not invest even an ANACS fee to get it graded.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9134 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS for all Morgans < $100 IMO due to the free VAM attribution / chance of getting a scarce VAM discovery, NGC for GSA's (never ANACS or PCGS), and for all other coins NGC and PCGS are about equal. ICG is not much of a presence anymore from what I can tell.

To investors and collectors of graded coins, the coin inside the slab is more important than whether or not it's an NGC or PCGS or ANACS coin.
CAC approval adds value in many cases but even CAC can strike out.

At best reselling a slabbed coin to a dealer you can expect to get 40-70% of your purchase price, with a few exceptions for choice coins, rarities, gold, or series with constant high demand, so I won't slab anything under $200-$250 in most cases without a particularly good reason.

The Greysheet spread used to show PCGS ahead of NGC on "slab factor" (% of bid you could expect to receive based on holder) but I haven't subscribed in a couple of years and don't know the current "Spread" between PCGS/NGC.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8282 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  02:10 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to comment something different. Don't get the coin in the photo graded, its been cleaned and basically only worth melt.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2902 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin you posted has been cleaned
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@keith12 and @grapecollects: You would know this how, exactly? I'm not questioning your estimation since I don't even know for a fact whether it's been cleaned or not; I'm just wondering how you'd be able to make that judgment from an admittedly bad cellphone pic. I'm not being smart-arse; I really want to know.

In real life, that Morgan isn't all bright-shiny new, and knowing where it came from, my great-aunt/grandmother who it came from really didn't have the initiative to go cleaning random coins they had stored in some cigar box in a dresser drawer. Heck, it's not even a key date/mint mark. It's basically a folder hole-filler or melt candidate.

Unless you're looking at a coin in real life, IMO it seems like it would be a bit tough to determine whether it's been cleaned or not.
Edited by STTScott
01/24/2021 08:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me personally, I don't submit enough coins to make the subscription fee for PCGS and NGC worth it. I submit to ANACS though I haven't in recent years. BTW: ANACS does charge for VAM attribution. In the long term PCGS and NGC will realize higher prices for same grade over ANACS. Anyway, that's my one cent worth.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lancek said >> And since values can skyrocket with even one number grade difference, I think it amplifies the difference in perceived value between PCGS and ANACS. \<

That said, I'd say split the difference and submit to NGC, no?

My only asterisk would be with a coin that's obviously rare/key date highvalue condition even if it was in G shape for the mintage and population -- then PCGS is the way to go, no question.

I like ANACS for coins that deserve grade and slab, even if for sentimental reasons. Their price is right for the budget-minded. Better coins that deserve to get grade and slab because they're lookers and the obvious condition/mintage/population call for NGC. PCGS is IMO for those king-hill specimens worth the cost and effort.

For example, I wouldn't entrust this FEC of mine to anyone other than PCGS.

Edited by STTScott
01/24/2021 09:35 am
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@paralyse said >> demand, so I won't slab anything under $200-$250 in most cases without a particularly good reason. <<

My ANACS bar is $100-150, but some peoples' mileages may vary &
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 575Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05