Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pnwtype's Fully Custom Dansco 7070 Album

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,022Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  04:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I've been working on this project about a year now; researching, planning, designing, deciding, material sourcing, testing, and executing. Now that it is complete, all that's left is for me to fill it up over the next many years! Figured I would share it with you!

I decided to make this because of my qualms with the Dansco 7070, the Littleton type album, the Whitman type, Library of Coins, and others that exist. After completing my 7070, I felt it had some weird inconsistencies that bugged me (like only having 1 3c silver, or 2/3 SLQs. Many other available type albums were 20th century only, and the LoC went to 1960 and stopped but had things like the Chain and Wreath Cents and Gobrecht dollars! Unobtainable for me... ever. So I designed my own!

I wanted to include EVERYTHING. So in a sense I did. But also, I wanted everything to be attainable, that meant that anything over $2k (except double eagles) wasn't really an option, not for storage in an album. I wanted only business strikes, and only major purposeful 'varieties' (no 3 leg bison, only planned die alterations (like portrait revisions)). Some things had to be cut to keep other things in, after all I was working within the limitations of a page and making an appealing design.

This project was done with a drill press to keep my sanity, but that means some of the holes aren't so exact, I chose to live with that for my first ever custom album. Also, as I have a 7070, that's where my best examples are, so this album gets all my seconds, please forgive any holes, cleaning, or damages.

I appreciate positive and critical feedback. Changes are pretty unlikely (this project was a bear) but I would love to hear what you think or any questions.

Page 1: Half Cents, Large Cents, Small Cents

Page 2: Two and Three Cents, half dimes, Nickels

Page 3: Dimes, Twenty Cent, Quarters

Page 4: Half Dollars

Page 5: Dollars

Page 6: Small Dollars, ASEs, US Philippine Occupation

Page 7: Gold Dollars, Eagles
Edited by PNWType
01/03/2021 04:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8510 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  04:37 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent! I can tell I'll like you already. I had many of the same issues as well and my set looks very similar, minus the Philippines stuff. Mine is slightly less in depth, but I can certainly see the effort you put in!
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Grape! I know including the Philippines is pretty unorthodox, but the way I see it, we produced the coinage in our own mints and we put our name on it, that's good enough for an inclusion.

I definitely envy the free form of a registry set, but I could never trade being able to hold the coins in my hands and seeing them on a page together.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great job!

Shouldn't the three 3 Cent Silver pieces be labeled as Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3?
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Shouldn't the three 3 Cent Silver pieces be labeled as Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3?

That could be argued, yes, but the way I chose to label I took the liberty of renaming the 3c silvers to Small Star and Large Star. Giving me a lone "Small Star" and two types of "Large Star." I didn't really want to call them all " Three Cent Piece," so I found different names to use like how the nickel one is called Liberty Head.

It was a serious creative liberty
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4114 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it is a great idea. Perhaps for your next one you can figure out how to get the holes more even and of a more exact size.

Could you tell us what materials you used for the top and the bottom, and for the "filling"?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic effort. I'm going to upgrade my virtual 7070 album to include all the extra stuff from the NGC registry set, as well as the original 7070 coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too cool. Well done. I assume you used forstner bits for drilling your holes?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job...exactly what I want to do...sans the drill press...mine will just use blank pages, so sadly, it will not be grouped like yours...I think theres about 50-60 coins left out. Once again...great job...now fill the holes. I am on the hunt for a "gold page"...Maybe Dansco will come back soon.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2294 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this a lot!! Well thought out and we'll laid out as well. I think I would do very, very close to the same as you, if I could figure out a more precise method for the hole making process . Congrats on the progress made so far, and enjoy filling the rest
Pillar of the Community
United States
3381 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks great!! The Dansco really needs to get updated with the modern coins.
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could you tell us what materials you used for the top and the bottom, and for the "filling"?

The pages are 2 slide section uncut pages direct from Dansco, except for the Halves and Dollars which are modified blank pages.

Quote:
I assume you used forstner bits for drilling your holes?

Yep! It wasn't the initial plan because spade bits allow for more specific sizes (16th" intervals), but the spade bits were just tearing the pages apart. With more experience I would probably try creating my own punches so the holes could be exact and clean

Quote:
Dansco really needs to get updated with the modern coins.

I agree! I am not huge on collecting modern but that doesn't mean I don't want a reason to get my hands on just one of each
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1863 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you ever consider using a material like the Rings are made from in the Ringed airtites to secure your coins better? Maybe a whole album of ringed coins - Hmmmmmm, an idea -
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you ever consider using a material like the Rings are made from in the Ringed airtites to secure your coins better?

I've been considering it and likely I'll end up doing so. Black foam rings will likely be the easiest and best looking
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question... What make and model of label maker did you use to make your labels? I have a Brothers (I think) that I don't think does a third line like you have.

Very nice looking. Very professional.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,022Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05