Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Rare? 1967 Expo 67 Montreal Canada Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 304Next Topic  
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  2:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MiStikViruZz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37726 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8279 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second image is upside down.
If someone can translate the inscription below the Canada Pavilion you may find the source of this medallion.
For items like this rarity is not necessarily connected to value, as with all numismatic items value is a function of supply and demand.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4546 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
95931 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BCTokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The text under the pavilion appears to be Katakana (Japanese).

The second line (in the brackets) reads: ka-na-da (Canada).

The first line is too hard to read due to the poor scan, but appears to be: mo-n-to-ri-?-?-ru (Montreal?).

Jan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5245 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I "needed" to see the piece in the correct orientation!

From what I can tell, the medal depicts the Canadian Pavilion at Expo 67.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3806 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

The word "rare" is a vague adjective that's far too often used to exaggerate financial value. One might better ask if anyone's seen a specimen, knows the mintage, has seen one sell, can find any history on the item .... specifics. IMHO, it's always best for a collector to see what can be learned about a piece, first. Then, pass along the knowledge when ready to part with it and let the marketplace gauge its worth in dollars and cents.

As to the subject piece, I've not before seen one; this, in my sixty years of collecting. Then too, I'm stateside and don't collect this genre. Chances are, there's a CCF member who can provide some research insight.

With coins, financial values tend to be far more stabilized than with exonumia, tokens and medals, etc. In my area of interest, 19th century American merchant tokens, I've witnessed pieces sell for $700 at auction that I'd not pay $50 for. If two people want a "rare" (not easily found) item, the sky's the limit when it comes down to cost. I recently bought a damaged (counterstamped) Indian cent for 300 times what the average coin dealer would pay. In other words, intrinsic or extrinsic value evolves from knowledge and desirability which can vary greatly from one person to another.

Edited by ExoGuy
01/11/2021 10:07 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 304Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05