Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 S Lincoln Memorial Cent Doubled Die - DDO-001, FS-101

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 875Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3217 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Grapes. I'm pretty pleased with the the price overall. Four of these have sold at MS-64 since September, and I paid $100 more than the lowest priced one, and $1200 less than the highest priced one. I figure that's a good place to be on the price curve.

But the flurry of these things coming to market isn't over yet, as there is not one but two of them selling on Great Collections today. One MS-64 and one MS-65. Maybe after this it will settle down and be back to one or two a year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2803 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You finally did it!

I'm surprised you bought one not shortly long after you told me you were keeping an eye out for it. I thought it would take longer but here we are!

Bravo Keith!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3217 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SC, Yep, finally got one. Historically these don't come up very often, are very expensive, and I just don't have the kind of resources to buy at that level. But last year I moved and sold off a lot of stuff that was sitting around (over 1000 pounds of Lincolns) so I didn't have to move it, and this created a fund to be able to buy some better coins. But alas this was the final hurrah, and now back to sticking to things in my usual pay grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2803 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  11:02 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely, not even sure if I've ever seen one on the forum. Good gracious, that is quite a lot of Lincolns. I'd think you'd have to have an entire room just for them! Well, even if the hype is over, at least you're closer to completing that collection. Lots of hard work and effort finally paying off.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3217 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got word today that the 1974-D will be getting sent my fairly soon and the list will get even shorter.

Oh yeah, that was a whole lot of Lincolns. My wife was worried that the floor in that room would just collapse. And by the end the guy at my local post office really, really did not like seeing me pull up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2803 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow nice! The more modern Lincoln DDOs with the thickened E in WE have always been neat but tricky.

Hahaha sounds about right. I told my dad about it and he couldn't believe it. I could see myself with bags and bags of Lincoln cents sitting next to my desk in a few decades.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3217 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do add up after a while if you don't sell them off. This week I should be picking up a collection of Lincolns that will come in around 120 pounds. Buy large and it gets heavy fast. The biggest single collection I bought last year went close to 600 pounds.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2803 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure they do. Speaking of which, I need to make sure to get rid of some wheat cents I've been holding onto. I still haven't gotten the full hang of buying, searching through them, then selling them off. Good gracious that's massive! While I'm sure looking through that magnitude of cents can be tiring, I bet it's worth every penny (no pun intended ).
Pillar of the Community
United States
7048 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one beautiful DDO. Thanks for sharing this with us! Congrats on a great coin
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3217 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Earle!
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3217 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Parnelli! Okay, and if you note my online name, I have to ask if you are aware that there is a bat with the scientific name Pteronotus parnellii?

And, just an hour ago in the mail the 1969-D DDO-001 arrived from a super kind CCF member. Will be sending a trade package back that direction soon, but this one ticks off one more of the few last die 1 coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what?
the people at the post office are just plum lazy and dont want to work?
say it isn't so!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3217 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah contraire! The Post Office seems to want to do extra work. The 1969-D was sent from a member who lives a little over two hours from me, but the package tracking shows that it visited Jacksonville, Florida on it's way here. Not exactly the shortest path from point A to point B. But it arrived.
Valued Member
United States
499 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDCENT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to find one of those beauties!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 875Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05