Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 D Homestead Quarter Possible Broadstruck

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 230Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  1:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I really think and hope this is broadstruck. It's a nice one if it is. What do y'all think. Thanks for your time. Sorry if the pics are bad. I can take more and repost.

Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Judging by the Reeding on the edge, I don't think it is. Possibly slightly off center. But a lot of wear.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I was leaning more toward the broad strike. It is a bit thick on one side and thin on the other. Both Obverse and reverse are flat and smooth. You cant feel any of the edge. I know my pics are not the best. Not like seeing it in person. I will try natural light from the window. I do see wear. It actually looks alot like this quarter
Pillar of the Community
United States
4388 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The homestead quarter looks normal to me.

A broadstruck coin by definition must not have any reeding present around the edge, because a broadstrike is a coin struck without the collar die deploying properly(the collar die is what imparts the reeding onto the coin as well as keeps the coins' diameter correct.)
Edited by Adam_E
01/10/2021 2:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
18317 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@minni, can you please measure and then post the diameter of your quarter? As noted by @afdam_e, that could help us too.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3853 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
0.943 and weighs 5.7 Ya your right about the reeds. Cant be a broadstruck. I wont rule out wear, but wear didnt do this I dont believe. No wear on the reeds. It's all flat and smooth except the south of the Obverse. You can feel the rim where the dirt is. Reverse smooth. If you look at the reverse top of the roof you can see die chips. Is that Feeder Finger Damage above Nabraska just north on top of the die chip? Not real familiar with that error.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4388 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wear is very rarely evident on the reeds unless the coin is extremely worn. Can you explain what you mean when you say "flat and smooth"?

The other area you pointed out is just a scrape, it's impossible to say what caused it
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Adam E. You cannot feel any incuse or detail. Anything below the rim still has its detail. That's obverse and Reverse.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yorkish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a perfectly normal circulated quarter to me. It doesn't even look like a misaligned strike. Keep hunting! You will find something I promise lol
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Think I will just toss this in the come back to it later jar. Maybe look at it better when I get a new photo set up.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 230Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05