Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

American Silver Eagle 2012 Different Finishes To Bullion Issue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 192Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mkjj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have two American Eagle Silver Dollar one from 2012 the other 2014, I thought they were both the same standard bullion issue coins but they have a different finish, neither have a mint mark. The 2014 has a shiny polished uncirculated finish, the 2012 is matte (not shiny, could this be burnished?). My question is did the US Mint issue different finishes to the standard bullion issue coins in 2012 or what version of the coin do I have? Many thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its called toning, over time the bright shiny finish on some ASE will haze over. Hence what is happening to your coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47757 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Business strikes and Proofs were struck in 2012-S"
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkjj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great, thanks. The effect is very even on both sides of the coin and no discolouration so is quite attractive!
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkjj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I am not sure if these photos help, is there any other way to identify the business strike? Or, does it look like toning to you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No mint mark, both are bullion. That's toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are my ASE, notice how some are shiny and others are matte? All are bullion (business strike).

Edited by hfjacinto
01/12/2021 12:27 pm
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkjj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify, it's clear now & toning it is. All the best!
Pillar of the Community
United States
680 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Different years have different "finishes" - take a look at all silver eagles from 86 to date. You will see different finishes on the different years....... really has nothing to do with toning. Toning will add color to the silver finish - it won't change bright silver fields to a satin like finish!
Edited by Rothery
01/12/2021 2:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2889 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Different years have different "finishes" - take a look at all silver eagles from 86 to date. You will see different finishes on the different years....... really has nothing to do with toning.

Not actually true, I've had coins from the same year with different "finishes", some were bright others were hazy. So it is a type of toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
680 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've had coins from the same year with different "finishes", some were bright others were hazy. So it is a type of toning.

Ok, so from now on haze is a type of toning! Gotcha....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
of the pictures, Posted Today 2H 14M ago of the two coins, obverses and reverses. it's very evident the one on the left is a stronger strike than the one on their right.

Maybe it's Die Deterioration, or press pressure, or even different mint that made them (this is what I think). the coin on the right is a weaker strike, most obvious on the obverse, bottom right of her skirt. also on the reverse the eagles neck feathers.

My "opinion" is the one on the left was Minted at San Francisco or West Point Mint, the One on the right Philadelphia Mint. But there's no way to actually confirm that after they are out of the Monster Box.

The coin on the left looks like coins from the vertical presses used at West Point or San Francisco,They make nice coins.

while the one on the right looks to me to be weaker/duller, suggesting it was done on the horizontal presses at Philadelphia and sped through as Philadelphia always does. San Francisco and Philadelphia mints both assisted West Point Mint with striking silver eagles between 2014-2017

San Francisco Made the bullion eagles from 1986 to 1998, 1999 to 2000 it was West Point, 2011 San Francisco set up and tested to take it back over but instead from then on made proof coins, and supplemented West Point on Eagles occasionally. Philadelphia also supplemented making bullion silver eagles. 2010-2014 or so was the recession and the siver run up also happened along this time.

anyways, that's my opinion on the matter and the difference. Again though, no real way to confirm it without the tagging from the monster box.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
01/12/2021 2:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
974 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP's original inclinations are correct. The 2012 was struck with a more frosted finish and the 2014 with a more brilliant finish
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 192Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05