Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$50 Notes With Special Numbers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 321Next Topic  

Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  5:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Funky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a $50 first prefix 2018 serial number AA185888888, wondering how much it could be worth and where to sell it.
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's worth $50 LOL

Anything above that is what someone is prepared to pay.

You can check what they are currently going for on ebay. The best thing to do with the first and last prefix is to hang on to them and keep them protected as they should increase in value as the years go by.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Funky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5248 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it have the spelling error on the serial number side in the microprinting?

Responsibilty instead of responsibility

If it does, I think you could get between $70 & $100 for it, mainly because all those eights in the serial no would be very attractive to some people, plus it's a first prefix, plus the spelling error, so 3 attractive reasons for someone to pay a bit more for it.

life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55748 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unaware of this error. Sounds like we need pics.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/15/2021 09:55 am
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how accurate these headlines are;

"The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) spelled "responsibility" as "responsibilty" on millions of the new yellow notes. The RBA confirmed the typo on Thursday and said the error would be fixed in future print runs. ... It took more than six months for someone with a good magnifying glass to spot the typo"

"Australian $50 note typo: spelling mistake printed 46 million times"

Nearly every Aussie could hoard two of these notes. Not a rare or valuable error imo
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5248 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a rare or valuable error imo
On it's own probably not, but given that we are talking about a First Prefix note, plus the spelling error plus plus the digit 8 is repeated 6 + 1 times in the Serial No, I still think the note the OP has is worth quite a bit more than a common old 2018 $50.

life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18339 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those non Aussie collectors it is well to know that this Note carries a date.

The first two digits after the serial letters indicate that this Note was printed in 2018.

the '5' which follows prevents this Note from being a "solid".
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nearly every Aussie could hoard two of these notes. Not a rare or valuable error imo

Apologies, I was referring to the spelling mistake being not rare or valuable imo, not the first prefix.

That being said, it does seem like some people are prepared to pay a premium for the common spelling mistake

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2566 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a bunch of 8's (and not being a radar or repeater) means little,

I can't see 46 MILLION spelling mistakes carrying that much of a premium either. neat for sure... but added value @ 1.5 or 2x face value? really?

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Funky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It hasn't got the mistake also for the one's that are saying it isn't worth much, I was offered $12,000 AUD but I believe it's worth a lot more than that so get your info correctly, I have it for sale on EBAY P.O.A
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3321 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chinese buyers are willing to pay significant premium for such numbers as it sounds prosperous in Chinese.

If I were you, I'd take $12,000. Just be aware with Chinese buyers - I haven't had many pleasant experience. A couple of buyers I had sold to demanded refunds since the pictures aren't clear enough to show minor marks (forced to do partial refund), slow shipping times and one even complained about the position of stamps on the letter!

My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05