Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A CAC "Green Bean" On A Coin Graded "Poor-1"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 726Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  09:56 am Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's a new one for me, a CAC sticker on a coin graded "Poor-1" by PCGS.

Granted, the coin is a 1916 Standing Liberty quarter, but I guess I hadn't thought of a "superior quality" Poor-1 coin.

Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37794 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People do collect PO1 coins. The CAC is just another grader telling you they agree with the original grade.And it looks like the original collector opted for the PCGS gold shield at an additional cost too.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
01/16/2021 10:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5152 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The CAC is just another grader telling you they agree with the original grade.

To me a green CAC sticker also indicates that in the opinion of the second grader the coin is in the top 5% of the indicated grade but doesn't quite deserve the next grade up.
For this particular coin that could add $100 to its book value.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time to re post...
What we collectors do is....?
Looks genuine.

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54858 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great diagram, Matthew.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2834 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe for a lowball collector being in the top 5% of a PO-1 is a bad thing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie,

Good point. Shouldn't CAC make a "black bean" for Low Ball collectors indicating that the coin is at the bottom of the grading level?
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1724 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that it's not "top 5%", it's this, from their website:

"For many years, coin dealers and advanced collectors have used the letters A, B, and C among themselves to further describe coins. C indicates low-end for the grade, B indicates solid for the grade, and A indicates high-end. CAC will only award stickers to coins in the A or B category. C coins, although accurately graded, will be returned without a CAC sticker."

To me that implies that two-thirds of coins could get a sticker. I agree that a lowball collector might prefer that it didn't get a sticker, but CAC won't tell you that.
Valued Member
United States
390 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good point. Shouldn't CAC make a "black bean" for Low Ball collectors indicating that the coin is at the bottom of the grading level?

Pillar of the Community
United States
991 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I guess a gold bean attached to a PO-01 graded coin should be promptly removed
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1376 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah I guess a gold bean attached to a PO-01 graded coin should be promptly removed

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1828 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would a PO-01 with a bean be a has been?

*ducks and covers*
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14879 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize you can tell it's a 1916 other than the 3 stars that was added as of 1917 . But I thought to Have a PO-01 designation , the date had to be acknowledgeable .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2203 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, um, how much did it cost you Paul?
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2708 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not my coin. I saw it on eBay for $1,700, I believe.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8290 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I thought to Have a PO-01 designation , the date had to be acknowledgeable

Nope. The date has to be identifiable and the Branch Mint if applicable.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 726Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05