Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2005 D Nickel Ocean Views

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 290Next Topic  
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  08:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I got this nickel in uncirculated condition I was wondering if the mint mark is enough to be considered DDO thanks for your opinions in advance.

Learn More...
United States
18668 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rigs, the blurriness of the close-up pics makes it hard to know for sure, but that looks more like a small mark from circulation or perhaps a tiny die chip on the mintmark (not a RPM).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence Well it cant be an rpm since its an 05 and the mintmarks were put in the master dies unless of course they used old machines for this mint set, which they have before (1999) to dish out some SBA coins which came out with some beautiful DDO. I dont think its a die chip since it goes around then drips out the middle. It hasnt been circulated thats for sure, thanks though and sorry I cant take better pictures maybe I need an app or something.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence whats funny is I had the same dilemma with a mint set coin same year and same mintmark only its a dime.
Edited by Rigs0880
01/17/2021 09:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like Machine Doubling, it can also be seen on the b in Liberty
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48929 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Machine Doubling:

Hiding in the glare.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop wow very nice I like that, so what about that white image within the mint mark. Thats flat? And there is still another shapelike D coming out the inside, shouldnt Machine Doubling be outlining the letter? And thats a real question I'mánot stating that as if I know.
Edited by Rigs0880
01/17/2021 6:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5035 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think perhaps you are seeing lighting glare with the close-ups you were giving us. I too think what you have is Machine Doubling. You can also see it in the date as well.
ša va bien aller

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would love the chance to go to a local coin meet up so I can tutored on the difference between Machine Doubling and DD. Been a collector for over 40 years but never got into the error side of things until recently. Still trying to find my way.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48929 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually (but not always) if there is Machine Doubling in one area, there will be more areas affected, even the opposite side can be affected. Depends on how sloppy the machine was.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rigs0880 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop I see thanks for the input
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05