Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Small Date - With Horned "T" Jagged "U" And Hooked "E"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 267Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  6:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bigwho808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys,

This is a standard 2.5 gram Small Date Copper. When I put this under the microscope, I noticed some weird indentions on the obverse: "In God We Trust" First, the "E" in WE seems to hook out. The "U" seems to have jagged little cuts at the ends. And the "T" seems to have Horns.... Or am I just seeing things? I have also included a couple of pics of the tails where they may be some doubling on the first "s" on states. I am not too sure?

I hope this wasn't one of Satan's pennies...lol. Would love to hear your thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
8935 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Die Deterioration with a ridge ring forming
Pillar of the Community
United States
7004 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Coins in circulation can experience a wide variety of things that can alter them on a micro level. While the things we find can be interesting, these type of things are not official mint errors.
Some friendly advice would be to visit error-ref.com and find out what actual errors are so that you will know what to look for. While it will take some time to read about actual errors, not only can it be fun, but in the long run it can save you time b/c you will have a much better grasp on what you are finding.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37824 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. 2.5 grams means it is a zinc not copper.
I see no errors or varieties,I see a spender... sorry.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54891 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, some Die Deterioration, pretty normal-looking coin.

to the CCF!
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigwho808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wait, so what you are saying is this is not an error coin? Are you serious? Look at the inside of the "U." It even has a little heart in the middle.

Learn More...
United States
18679 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It even has a little heart in the middle.

Yes that could be, but under closer examination that mark looks a bit more like an ugg boot.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigwho808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence. This coin is "BootLeg"
Pillar of the Community
United States
5055 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a "guy" but my opinion is similar to what others have said above, no mint error, just some Die Deterioration with your small date zinc cent. Keep searching, we'll be here for ya.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Learn More...
United States
18679 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin is "BootLeg"
Even better!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigwho808 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Guys and Gals, for checking the coin out providing your input, and I appreciate the good tips.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05