Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

J And M Coins.... Wrong Coin. Advice Please.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 579Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  10:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I received my order from J and M coins in the mail today. All the coins seem to be pretty good I have no issues with what they sent me for grades. One of the coins, a fish scale had clearly been harshly cleaned. One of the coins that I did purchase was a 1966 Canada Silver Dollar, the dot variety in MS 63. The coin that they sent me apparently had been taped to something at some point because you could clearly see where the tape marks running across the coin. In addition to that I gave the coin a 10 second dip in some pro dip and it turns out that the coin is not even the dot variety. No marks at all. Wondering if anyone had experiences with them that might have some advice what I should do at this point. Thanks.
Edited by samsnate
01/18/2021 10:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8281 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you phone them?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5823 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always verify the contents BEFORE messing with the coins!

Once you remove the coin from it's packaging and dip it .... you own it!

I don't see how you have any recourse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2820 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing you can do if you already dipped or attempted to clean the coin. How could the seller even know it's the same coin you're trying to return?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37757 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you should at least call them and let them know what happened. I agree that once you dip it it is yours.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3313 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what is a 1966 $ dot variety, I have not heard of that one?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that chances are I own the coin. The coin was so dirty that even with the loupe I could not confirm the "dot" that they were seeing. I did soapy water first to no avail so I went up one more notch. I perhaps could have also just tried to send the coin back but the grade they sent me was correct but the eye appeal was god awful so I was caught between a rock and a hard place because "technically" they sent me the proper "grade"

I can confirm it's the same coin because you can still see the tape lines that were there previously. I have not tried to contact them yet. I figured I would come here and talk to you all and see your thoughts. Personally in my head I'm not looking to return the coin. I think I want them to send me the proper coin at a regular 1966 price shipped free and I'll pay the price again for the standard 1966 since I've already paid for the variety version.

@silverwolf.... dot variety has a dot behind/below the front voyagers feather.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry that the first pic is so blurry. I can't get a better shot. It's a screen shot of the recording I made opening the package. It's just to show the coin I received and you can still see the tape lines.

Oh and a correction.... the regular 1966 was MS. The dot variety I purchased was AU. I Got those mixed up. Sorry.
Edited by samsnate
01/19/2021 08:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20085 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By now you've read all the replies saying once you messed with the merchandise, it is now yours. To bad if wrong item sent, they may have messed up but so did you. Not sure what you paid for that coin but it is now your coin.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3080 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only done business with J and M, once. I ordered an 1858 large cent and they never shipped or got back to me. I had to file a claim with my bank to for me getting my money back. I wouldn't do business with them again.

But in your case you messed with the coin, so now it's yours
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3751 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You own it .
That said , as a coin dealer myself ,
I would never send a customer a coin like
that unless described as such , taped etc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm appreciating all you views, keep them coming.

Like I posted earlier, I'm aware that I own the coin, I'm ok with that. Question is do I even bother saying anything to them to have them send me a replacement. The coin was $30 where regular issue is $22 to answer just_carl.

@pacificoin.... my head also goes there as well why such a coin would ever be sent out.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5823 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, I would just put them on my "Do Not Buy From" list and move on. Lesson learned. Just more "tuition" paid towards my BS degree in Numismatics. ((I'm 70+ and STILL have not graduated!)

If it would make you feel better you could contact them and let them know what happened and how disappointed you happen to be. They have no obligation to do anything but in the interests of customer relations and good faith they might.

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@west, I was actually thinking along the same lines of having a conversation with them regarding this issue but for the most part let it go but hope they might try to make it right for the sake of customer relations.

I've purchased once before from them and was pretty satisfied. I wasn't blown away but it met minimum requirement. I found that they seem to over grade by one but again it's all in the eye of the beholder right.

I would buy again from them since they seem to be pretty close to accurate and their supply is really great. I am starting to get into higher value coins now so I need to figure out how to prevent a repeat of this in the future.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
553 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a coin on the way from them. They had a picture of it on their website and it was ICCS graded, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting. The only other experience I've had with J&M is in person at their store. Their selection is top notch.

I have a few coins coming from another dealer that did not have pictures. I have to trust that their grading is accurate and the coins are problem-free. It's a small test order, so we shall see. I'm not entirely comfortable with it and that's why I really miss attending shows.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first order for J was also a test order and they didn't too bad. This last order was another test as I started getting higher grades. Most of my collection is EF or better with the largest portion being EF so this time around was seeing what they would sent when requesting AU and MS.

Now if my memory serves me correctly I think that there was a section for you to add notes when placing an order. I was trying to think back and thought maybe I could put something in there that I'm looking for grade WITH good eye appeal, minimal coin marks, nice rim etc etc since it's for my personal collection and seeing what happens with the next batch. You guys think they might actually take those notes into consideration or you think they'll just do a grab and ship?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 579Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05