Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 D LWC Clogged Die Bie

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 214Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks to lawest for helping me identify this error. Now I can take it out the tube and put it in a 2x2. Good catch. Reverse looks like an earlier die state

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54821 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several nice die chips here, but not uncommon on 1957 cents.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/19/2021 8:58 pm
Learn More...
United States
18653 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die chip on the wheat stalk is my fave part of this coin. Very nice!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinfrog and Spence. Had this for a few years and just thought it was cool. Even better to have it identified
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1358 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Progressive Indirect Design Transfer on the reverse. Or is that just the lighting in the last picture?
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rothery. I believe you are correct although tough to see on this one. Not as prominent as most of the others I have. Even found one today that is a 1943 with a die crack
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48897 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The error is called a broken post. A post forms the incuse areas of these devices. When the post breaks off, it leave a void on the die. With a void on the die, the void is filled not that the post is missing.

If the post breaks off below the field, the center are will be taller than the devices.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JC Stevens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop's correct, but if you want to get technical it's not a BIE.
A "BIE" is a die break between the letters of LIBERTY on a Lincoln Cent.
http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-bies/
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop and JC Stevens. I may have read the previous post from lawest wrong. Thats where I got that listing name. Very informative link to bie listings on cudsoncoins. Not sure why I haven't seen that page before but it will be very usefull in the near future for identifying and listing my bie's.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like your coin is the same die as mine but an earlier die stage. I was hoping it was a BIE so I could do some comparing of the reverse. When I posted mine a few years back JC Stevens replied with the following comment:

JC Quote: "Interesting coin!! Could be an early stage of 57D-CL412, later stage 57D-B475 "BIE", in the 1969 edition of "THE CLASSIFICATION AND VALUE OF ERRORS ON THE Lincoln CENT" by Jean Cohen. This 1957-D Cent, 1 of 120 for that date & MM, is listed under CLOGGED LETTERS and BIE. Markers are (Die break closes G od GOD. Die break above D and W in motto. Die crack over VBD. See with "BIE". Now what is interesting is the none of the reverse markers match? I'm thinking the Reverse die was changed. It would be neat to find the 57D-B475 to do an overlay and compare it to your coin."

I have been looking for this obverse die with the BIE so I can compare the reverse to see if it matches or not.

Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks lawest. I wasnt sure if the broken post would constitute a bie but I ran with the only identification given. Now that I know there is an associated bie with this die I'll be on the lookout for the bie variety
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 214Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05