Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 Well-Circulated Lincoln With Huge Attached Lamination?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 332Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  7:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone! I'd like to hear thoughts about this; the lamination piece doesn't appear to be a part of the host coin. It spent decades circulating, and it didn't fall off... any ideas where and how?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CMattB2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dusty
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah... just like I received it-uncleaned surfaces
Learn More...
United States
18617 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested to hear what our brain trust thinks about this one. I'm finding it hard to believe that the coin could receive this much circulation wear without the lam breaking off. There is a shadow on the lower part almost like it is lifting up slightly there.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No brain trust here...trust me ; )~
Looks like he may have been oiled up a little hence why the dust sticking to him?
Maybe a good acetone soak then closer pics of the area...
Instead of a lam...could it be a huge chip?
Interesting one for sure.
Look fwd to what others have to say.
smat
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to show it with its "Original Skin". The lamination piece is naturally the same tone as the host. I'm leaning towards a strike-through (but from what?) that bonded with the surface?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17225 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it is something stuck to the coin, not a trike through or lamination. If it had been a lamination or strike through and circulated as much as the rest of the coin shows I would expect to see part of the caot design on it and the edges that are sticking up to be worn and rounded. A retained strike though I would expect to be flush with the surface of the coin.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
01/22/2021 10:02 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54686 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting for sure - I think a good acetone soak couldn't hurt.
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"A retained strike though I would expect to be flush with the surface of the coin..."

Not necessarily, if "flush" is meant that the piece becomes seamless on the field. It's stuck on there, all right.
After I clean it up I'll post better pics.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think a good acetone soak couldn't hurt.

If that is something adhered to the coins surface it may actually come off with the acetone soak.
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"If that is something adhered to the coins surface it may actually come off with the acetone soak."

That would be if the piece were glued on the host, which means even if they had Gorilla Glue, etc., in 1914, that glue would have crystalized decades ago
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would be if the piece were glued on the host, which means even if they had Gorilla Glue, etc., in 1914, that glue would have crystalized decades ago

Well, only one way to find out........
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is all cleaned-up a bit... there is a lamination starting on the reverse at the end of the left wheat stalk. You can see that the big piece on the obverse is smashed into the rim at the bottom, as well as a small piece mashed onto Lincoln's coat at the shoulder. Musta been a fault in the strip a few of these were cut from?

Edited by whatdowehavehere
02/10/2021 1:28 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 332Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05