Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1986 Silver Proof Eagle, Would You Get It Graded?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 616Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
148 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ilzho to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello:

I have a proof 1986 eagle that looks nice, been in the capsule and box ever since and I looked up some prices and it seems if you can get it graded to be flawless (70, which I'm sure is a very small chance), you pretty much hit the jackpot.

I have never gotten anything graded, so my question is, if I do submit it to be graded, do I go with NGC or PCGS, I have read good and bad on both on this forum?

Also I have a 1989 that has slight tarnish near the rim as you can see in the upper right on the coin. Would that make a lower grade? or the better question is, is it worth it getting graded?

Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37824 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imposable to grade a 70 coin with photos,needs to be in hand. If you send it in use PCGS because you will get more when selling it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3091 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what is the reason you want to grade a common coin?

It will cost you about $50 to get it graded. I can buy graded proofs for $50-$70. Since the proof probably cost you $48 plus $50 for grading your at $98, and you can sell it for $70? Doesn't make sense.

And I disagree with John, for low cost coins it makes no difference who graded it, actually my low cost slabs are mostly PGCS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7004 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have never gotten anything graded, so my question is, if I do submit it to be graded, do I go with NGC or PCGS, I have read good and bad on both on this forum?

You are also correct its a long shot with an MS70, but it can happen. You should know several things:
1. A lot of collectors like to send a coin in to have the experience. I did this also when getting back into the hobby.

2. A coin broken out and resubmitted, even to the same company, is never guaranteed the same grade again. grading is totally subjective with no verfiable standard behind it. This is likely how they keep people wanting to try the gamble of getting the "money level" grade.

3. A large volume dealer I know (ACE coins in Hagerstown, MD) did a private study not so many years ago and polled hs other dealer friends. He found a consistency in that when they would send in monster boxes of silver eagles each year, it was a consistent 20% that was MS70. He showed me, and challenged me to look for myself at others I would find, to look at MS70 slabbed Silver Eagles and it was not hard to find coins with rim dings, small marks, etc. He was convinced the companies just skim the top of the boxes and slab them as MS70s. Since there is no accountability with them...why go to the effort? Remember this is not proven fact, but theory...and the numbers seem to support it as does inspecting many MS70 slabs.

4. Things such as at this link are not difficult to find:
http://goccf.com/t/346174#2967242

To make sure my position and reason for posting is clear:
My stance on these companies is they are just that: businesses just trying to make a profit. They do not use verifiable standards and it helps them profit from people wanting to gamble on getting that "money grade." The online registry sets have created a competition that aids the "gamble game" b/c people pay more and more trying to get the highest graded slabs in their registry sets.

A former member, Biggfredd, shared the following:
http://goccf.com/t/130186

If a scientific grading method was used so the same coin always got the same grade, which is likely very possible with modern tech and has been for quite awhile, there would be no gamble.

Slabs are not evil, but the company reputations attributed by the market (and marketing plans) leaves a lot to be improved for the money they charge

If you are aware of the above and simply enjoy slabs, then go for it. Slabs look great and it can be fun to collect them. Just remember as is said on this forum many times, "
Buy the coin and not the slab."

BTW - check eBay auctions - usually PCGS slabs can bring in a higher profit when sold. The other "game" involved in profits is paying another company to see if they will affix their CAC ticker to the slab. They charge you to evaluate their own "expert" opinion of how well the "experts" at the "expert" grading company did their job.

Peeking into the future...

The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Earle42. Great post. Big Fred's post was also very good. It really makes you sit back in your chair and think.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ilzho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for all of the replies.
This reminds me of the industry I have been on for over 20+ years. The diamond industry.
I have been a diamond grader/QA gemologist at the 'best' lab and it's the same exact thing..... It is an opinion and then it is verified by other graders and if 2 agree on the grades given, that's the grade it gets, for better or for worse.

So I appreciate the insight.

It's just funny to see a $30 common coin sell from $100-$900 just based on the grade given, that's why I asked.
Again, the same as the diamond industry......

I'll send it in to see what happens as I do not see any marks or dents, but this is not my expertise.

Thank you,

David
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1686 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative and kind remembrance!

Great information and thoughts. I cannot hear it often enough, Buy the Coin, Not the Slab.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll send it in to see what happens as I do not see any marks or dents, but this is not my expertise.

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know how it grades!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10847 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Fractureless Slab".

Love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1341 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 1986 S proof silver eagle, there's about 9000 graded PR70 DCAM by PCGS alone. They sell for around $300 ($200-$400 on ebay sold search) . if it's PR69 DCAM it's selling for like $60.

Up to you of course, but it's not the "jackpot" as with MS silver eagles from 1986 which would be like $1150 in MS70 or so.
toning doesn't affect the grade unless it's terminal or hiding something under it which would detract from the grade.

Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ilzho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see plenty from $800+ that have sold on ebay.
Some have the brown or green label or some of the other 'special' characteristics, but a lot of them without that have sold for around these amounts.
Not sure why a regular one would sell for $300, when some are fetching at least double.
Unless those 'sold' prices are bogus oon Ebay?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10847 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course the decision is up to you. Your chances are far better than hitting PowerBall. For whatever that is worth. Let us know what you decide to do!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1341 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I see plenty from $800+ that have sold on ebay.
Some have the brown or green label or some of the other 'special' characteristics, but a lot of them without that have sold for around these amounts.
Not sure why a regular one would sell for $300, when some are fetching at least double.
Unless those 'sold' prices are bogus oon Ebay?"

Not bogus, this is something to do with specialty labeling and signatures and them having different population numbers in that labeling format. if you are into that sort of thing as a collector.
the standard Blue PCGS Label, PR70DCAM $200-$400 normally, average of $300 but depends on how many are for sale at the time.

And anyone making crazy money on and item ebay with 0-5 feedback and like tons of bids is likly bidding on his own listings using a strawman account or something to push the price up. So there is that factor also on some of them.

it's mostly the fancy labels though.
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ilzho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. Thank you for the information.
I have no clue about the labels and signatures, I guess I need to research that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7004 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The labels are just another marketing strategy. Different labels have created a way that the same coin can be sold to someone who already had it b/c the packaging is different. Some people like to collect by label as well. I actually am surprised they don;t have different color plastics for the slabs as well as making annual different colored inserts in the slabs.
...give them time.

Personally I am more concerned about the coin than what a company packaged it in, but there are some who collect the coin+packaging...it gives them a good way of owning more of the same thing, but technically be able to justify it to the wife as being a different thing!
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05