Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Peace Dollar (Unusual)

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 714Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2915 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is your friend. Suggest not scratching the coin. If possible, please post close-in, high resolution images. May help us better see what's going on.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kahawai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok will do!
Pillar of the Community
United States
523 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the pics...just using my USB microscope.

The rest of the coin is very unremarkable maybe EF-AU. When I first found her...thought it was nail polish...so she soaked in acetone for a day...and when nothing happened...I just threw her in a flip.
Zoomed in on the only area in question that looks similar to Kahawais' coin...if I run a toothpick over it...from the silver to the copper/pinkish color...it drops down.
she weighs 26.7g
From the side pic...almost looks etched? maybe some kind of acid...idk?
Well that's what I got...

Lets hear what it might be...?

smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks like epoxy or some other material that has hardened onto the surface. A long acetone soak may loosen it up - but you will probably notice that the area underneath is a different color since it has been protected / affected by the material.
Pillar of the Community
United States
523 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already did the acetone bath...but nothing happened...?
On the side pic...if you were to gently drag a toothpick from the edge to the area in question...it would drop down (incuse)...it's not raised on the surface.
I'm just responding to Kahawais' post about a similar Peace dollar that I have. I was questioning if maybe there was a chance that there may have been some sort of improper alloy mix (Thanks Mr Frog...I called it "like a lam" peel) since the area is not raised...?
Maybe some kind of acid...idk? But when I saw his coin it reminded me of mine...and both being San Francisco mint marks kind of made me think of any correlations between the 2...?
Let us know what you think...
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
5400 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fine granular surfaces look etched, similar to an acid-treated Buffalo nickel. A brief soak in dilute nitric acid might have done this. If a little acid was allowed to pool on the surface it could create the areas of deeper erosion.

From a numismatic standpoint the coin appears ruined. It still has silver value, of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
523 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies...acid does make sense.

I just find it interesting that both our coins are from San Fran and have random large incuse "pitting"?

I think it's just a bullion coin now too...last year when Ag was down I bought a couple of rolls of random dates for $17 apiece and this was in there hidden away.

She's in a flip and I'll just keep an eye out on the board to see if any similar Peace dollars show up to discuss...?

smat
Valued Member
Virgin Islands (U.S.)
63 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man .. you people are like the Columbos of this forum &
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 714Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05