Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Grade For This 1899-S Morgan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 269Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  05:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are the issues(breast and low left quadrant) on the reverse enough to detail it? Thanks in advance.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
Pillar of the Community
United States
2825 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think AU details. The breast scratch alone might not, but add the deep scratches along the wreath, and yes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2906 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And maybe cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
9577 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think AU details as well.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4449 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking AU-55 straight. Don't see any signs of cleaning, just a lot of broken luster IMO.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54797 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55, unsure if that scratch would detail it. Doesn't look cleaned to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9787 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 99(S) are typically strongly struck. even with the wear on this coin it does not meet that. so strike was AVG-. the coin has been banged around quite a bit with excessive scratches and marks. luster appears to only be about 20% intact. there is a pretty deep dig on the lower neck and the scratch on the breast is imo significant enough to details the coin (could have been from a staple). technically it could be an AU55 but the eye appeal and all the issues I would net it down to AU53 details
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1825 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, AU Details. IMHO this one would be better to leave raw. It's better to let people haggle over the issue on a bourse floor than to have it in a details slab.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Au 53details here
Pillar of the Community
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I passed on this. Seller was asking $175. No way for this details coin even though it was a VAM 7 but they can be fairly easy to find. Thanks all for your opinion.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
Pillar of the Community
United States
9577 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wise choice in my opinion.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2906 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wise choice in my opinion.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05