Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dealer Switching Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 468Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
228 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add don in nmkt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won an auction which part of the lot of coins was a valuable coin $500.00+. When I received the lot the valuable coin had been switched out and a replacement, same year, and less valuable coin in it's place. What recourse does one have?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1647 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay? I would just return the lot. If not it is trickier but I would still request to return the lot.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1037 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully you have pictures proving the discrepancy, if so a direct contact to allow them to correct the mistake if so, could be a good start. IMO
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can prove it, report it. Where did you buy the lot?
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It occurs to me that people who buy from online sellers, whether auctions or direct, would be wise to grab a screen shot of the coins they purchase so that they can prove it if something like this happens. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this but now I'll make a point of doing it if/when I buy coins that way.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you purchase from?
Do you have pictures?
Did you use a credit card?

Easiest route is talk to the seller/auction company. EBay is great for buyers, if talking fails, file an item not as described complaint. Seller will be forced to deal with you.

If not ebay, but another auction house, the path can be a bit longer. Talking to them may work. If that fails, file a report with the Better Business Bureau it can work. Believe it or not, PayPal reversed a decision against me after a long fight and only called me after I wrote a report on the BBB. I was the seller and they referenced the report in their call.

A longer route will involve talking to the credit card company and opening a dispute. Its not difficult, but a few frustrating steps depending on cc card company. Some debit cards have similar protection. I switched to always using credit cards now because of buyer protection. Even if it costs me a couple % pts as a fee.

Worst case is small claims, but probably not worth the cost/time.

And if still not solved a review of the auction house/seller on a rating site/forum can generate their attention and/or warn others of shady practices.

Good luck
Last thing to consider is cost/benefit of time. Is it worth it is always a question to ask.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
821 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a tricky one... Like others advised I would just request a return. Explain that you know what he/she did and if they offer to correct it then so be it, if not then move forward with your return and report the seller.

I feel details may be missing from this scenario in order to properly give the correct advice on which route you should take.

Is the amount you paid in total, still fair value even with the expensive coin missing? If no, then return.

If the lot was worth the price you paid even without the coin, I would still contact them and explain what you think happened (with proof if you have any) and see what the seller offers to do first. IF he/she offers to correct it and sends you the right coin awesome! and if not, well continue the return and stay away from that seller/dealer and report them IMO.

Edit: I would also like to add, even if you did pay fair value for the lot even without the exepensive coin (assuming that coin is why you purchased in the first place) maybe the dealer will offer a partial refund and you can keep the lot. But overall if you dident get what you paid for, return & refund.
Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Edited by JohnWayne007
01/23/2021 11:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2160 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did the offer say these are the exact coins you will receive or was a stock photo used?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3316 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
we will need pictures of the coin from the auction pictures, and then a picture of the coin you received..Sometimes pictures can be misleading, depending on the angle taken, and the light source used..

But until we see photos, we can't assume anything..

If you feel you were ripped off, then contacting the seller is your first step..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4219 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's eBay, there's nothing tricky about it. Just open a case that you didn't receive what you bid on.
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I purchase from eBay and the item is fairly high value I take a full video, or sometimes 2, to show the package unopened from every angle and every step of the "unboxing" so I have very good evidence of any problem. I also have a scale and measuring device in the frame as well to corroborate any suspected issues with authenticity. Never had to use it yet but I'd rather have too much than not enough if I have an issue. Every problem I've ever had with an eBay auction has been resolved quite easily though. That's one positive thing I can say about eBay for sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 468Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05