Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Feuchtwanger Friday: 1837 Feuchtwanger Three Cent PCGS SP65

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 493Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  3:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Very Rare Specimen 65 Low-119, HT-265 1837 Feuchtwanger Three Cent Ex: Herbert Oechsner

1837 3C Feuchtwanger Three Cent, Eagle SP65 PCGS. CAC. Low-119, HT-265A, High R.7. 24.2 mm. German Silver. Dr. Lewis Feuchtwanger struck two different die varieties of his 1837 eagle obverse Three Cent piece. Low-118 is the usually seen marriage. It is very scarce, and the variety listed on page 400 of the 2013 Guide Book. Low-119 is less known and very rare. The date is larger, the denomination is expressed twice, an oak wreath replaces a laurel wreath, and the eagle's rock has a flat base.

Check out Feuchtwanger on ebay.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series
Pillar of the Community
United States
877 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL! I clicked into this just to see about that name!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really spectacular, thanks.
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8026 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  05:09 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superb Pattern specimen. Always loved the Feuchtwanger cents, and I knew about this one as well, but don't recall ever seeing any Feuchtwanger coins as nice as this one!

My favorite coin of his is the 3 Cent coin he struck dated 1864 with the eagle holding a snake. https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...-eagle/20003

FUN FACTS:
Dr. Fuechtwanger, his doctorate was in philosophy and he opened the first German pharmacy in New York City, he also practiced medicine during the cholera outbreak of 1832. Though his main interest was in chemistry. He also had two of the finest mineral collections ever formed at that time (sold one and bequeathed the other to his daughters). Later in life he had a fairly large chemical plant, buying and selling compounds all over the world.

The doctor was trying his hardest to sell the U.S. Mint on using his German Silver for small denomination coins. His one cent coins were issued to the public with the U.S. Mint's blessing as a trial.

His composition of German silver is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. German silver is named due to its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated.

It is also commonly called by these various names; Nickel silver, Maillechort, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, and alpacca.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
01/30/2021 05:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3887 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great history, Westcoin. Feuchtwanger's tokens have long been among my favorites. He was a visionary. Twenty years later, his concept of small, white metal eagle cents, courtesy of the U.S. Mint, took to flight across the nation.

Edited by ExoGuy
01/30/2021 06:50 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7111 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting indeed.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1836 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
100593 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 493Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05