Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Tetradrachm. Real Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 391Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  7:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Trey6399 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a tetradrachm on ebay and I'm wondering if you guys who are more experienced can immediately tell through pics if it's fake or not. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2543 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the porosity is screaming cast fake to me, but then again I collect stuff from the other side of the world and about 2000 years newer.

lacking any real proof (or experience with these) look at all the little "burst bubbles" on the owl...

I'm sure others will chime in
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" Ö
Pillar of the Community
United States
819 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
look at all the little "burst bubbles" on the owl..
The patina also looks fake.

I hope you can get a refund on this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Know the coin or know the seller."

That's the best advice I've ever received as a collector of ancients.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mylimebug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found it on Ebay. That seller sure has a lot of fakes for sale. Not sure if any of them are authentic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4002 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got to say..jskirwin speaks the truth...great advice. Hope the seller issues a return...

to CCF...hope you stick with us, in the future always ask before you buy, we have many knowledgeable people here that are always willing to help
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
01/25/2021 11:23 pm
Learn More...
United States
23459 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  04:54 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

100% fake. I hope that you did not pay a lot and are able to get your money back.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18162 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand the OP's apprehension.
Not happy with this coin, for the reasons that other posters have mentioned.
I don't think that I would like to buy ancients via eBay unless, I personally know the seller.
Also nice to have an independently provable provenance.

With almost all coins of significant value, ancient or otherwise, I really like to inspect each coin in hand, before deciding to buy anyway.

And yes, I have to admit: I have learned from my own buying mistakes.
These days, I have built an extensive collection of fake ancient coins, so that I can learn how to identify what is wrong with each of them. The method of manufacture usually betrays them, if you have taught yourself what to look for.

A good book was published:
Numismatic Forgery by Charles M Larson,
endorsed by no less than Ken Bressett, a past president of the ANA, which describes in detail the various methods of manufacture of fake coins, and how those methods of manufacture betray them.
Learn More...
United States
31840 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are indications that nothing this seller has listed are genuine ancient coins or artifacts. For one, the prices that most items sell for indicates that they are not genuine. The seller makes it clear that they buy their items from "international" sources and "OUR ITEMS ARE DESCRIBED IN THE WAY THAT WE PURCHASE THEM FROM OUR SUPPLIER." So, if the supplier describes an item as "ancient" then this seller will describe it as "ancient". This is a form of authenticity disclaimer, in my opinion. They also admit that they "clean and polish" and "re-patinate" items.

I snickered when I read these definitions from their listing:
ANCIENT - A VERY OLD ITEM
ANTIQUE - A OLD ITEM OF INTEREST
VINTAGE - AN ITEM USAULLY (sic) NO OLDER THAN 5-10YEARS.

They have a no questions asked return policy....
It's 2021, RENEW your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the seller antiquiti is well known for selling fakes...I think he is on all the fake seller lists.
Learn More...
United States
96250 Posts
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Trey6399 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I messaged the seller asking if it is fake and if I can get a refund and this is what he had to say "Hi it is definetly not a fake I am an expert in the field. I don't know who you asked but if they have no knowledge their opinion is meaningless,
You are welcome to return anyway" what do you guys think? Is he trying to deceive me or is there a chance the coil is real
Pillar of the Community
United States
5604 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what do you guys think? Is he trying to deceive me or is there a chance the coil is real

He is a liar. The coin is fake, clearly. No doubt he knows it.

Quote:
"Hi it is definetly not a fake I am an expert in the field. I don't know who you asked but if they have no knowledge their opinion is meaningless,.."

Wow. At the risk of my sounding arrogant, you could mention that, among the meaningless opinions you received were those of two members of the editorial advisory board of KOINON: The International Journal of Classical Numismatic Studies. No doubt, as an "expert in the field" he is familiar with the publication.
Edited by Bob L
01/27/2021 10:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5604 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For future reference, avoid purchasing from sellers on the fake sellers lists:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html#A
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/b...opic=18502.0

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mylimebug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost all of his listings are fake. He definitely knows this, and is just a scam artist taking advantage of novice buyers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4002 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Listen to Bob L...he knows his stuff
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05