Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A 1905 S Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 348Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coyotestew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What can anyone tell me about a 1905s Morgan dollar?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54879 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell you there is no such thing, except maybe in China.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
01/26/2021 11:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are no morgans dated 1905. However; the SF mint did coin 310 in FY 1905 to clean up the leftover planchets,though all were dated 1904 as no dies dated 1905 were made in Philly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1736 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the SF mint did coin 310 in FY 1905 to clean up the leftover planchets,though all were dated 1904

Interesting - I didn't know that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7637 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually the 310 silver dollars were struck in September and December of 1904 NOT 1905. As shown in the the "Annual Report of the Director of the Mint for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 1905" page #19.

Link to the report on the NNP
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/514121 see the foot note at the bottom of the page, under the mintage charts.

Also to CCF! The misleading thing with the Annual reports is the Fiscal Year which ends on June 30, each year. So it's not always easy to nail down an exact date from the reports, though in this case it isn't hard as there is a specific footnote relating to the extra 310 dollars and when they were minted.

You are correct they were cleaning up the left over silver bullion still on hand. On page #29 the 310 silver dollars coined in fiscal year 1905 (Sept. & Dec. 1904) came from Philadelphia also page #128 show Philadelphia coined all 310 silver dollars, so they were not San Francisco dollars as far as I can tell. Nothing states San Francisco as minting any silver dollars during the fiscal year of 1905. Page #76 shows NO silver dollars were struck as well.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Westcoin...if you read my answer it clearly stated FY ( Fiscal Year) 05, as opposed to CY(Calander year) 05.

In doing research for a book, I noted several oddities in the Mint directors reports, which I sourced for a potential series of articles. My notes do clearly say that they were minted in SF. However; I am as human as they come and I'll go back and check. Oth SF clearly minted silver dollars in 1904. So perhaps you meant that they made no silver dollars in fy05?

Did you know for instance that the mint found double eagles that had been hollowed out and filled with platinum? Or that most of San Francisco's and all of Denvers reported mintage prior to about 1950 was just an educated guess? This was because the reports from those branch mints had to be submitted before the end of the fiscal year to the Director of the Mint for his report. I did a pretty detailed study and came up with a more correct number for many of these years and mints. My estimates being correct to plus or minus 10 coins. I attempted, in fact, to publish some of those findings here many years ago, but stopped when someone posted "who cares", literally. For instance, as I recall, there were actually less 16D Mercs produced than reported. There was also a very large descrepency with the 21 Peace dollars that I never resolved, though I really suspect that they were 21 Morgans.

I do appreciate the reply as I answered from memory on research I did 10 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7637 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jmkendall, I must have misread the FY as opposed to CY, Your statement is correct, still made in 1904 not in year 1905, yet the fiscal year extends well into 1905.

Yes I meant to say I could not find any records of San Francisco making silver dollars in CY 1905. I've been trying to work some of the Mint reports backwards on melted minor coins. The trouble is there is not a perfect count (at least what I'm looking at was all made in Philadelphia only, but I have to go well into the 1900's for coins not minted after 1872. Lots of years and discrepancies, the numbers will never be perfect in these types of counts, only as good as we can trace and as good as the records that were kept are.

I've always wondered about the 1921 Peace dollars myself, as I also believe there were a lot fewer produced than actually reported, the market kind of proves it as well. Nobody is sitting on a warehouse of lost 1921 Peace dollar bags either, I'm betting.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05