Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My ANACS Coin Grades

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 466Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
199 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  2:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Some advice please.

I just got the grades back from ANACS on the 48 coins I submitted a few months ago. My 1962 Jeff Nickel on penny planchet came back as AU-58.

A PCGS 1962-D version was sold on EBay in Nov for $472.50. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-D-Jef...7675.l2557). I believe that mine (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Jeffe...93012980223) is at least as good. Could some of you offer your opinions please?

Also, I know that PCGS (and NGC)-graded coins usually get a higher premium than ANACS, so I may consider sending it off to one of them if it would command a higher purchase price (more than the cost of grading/processing plus at least $75). Opinions please?

Thanks.

Bill

Pillar of the Community
United States
3050 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sell it for what you think its worth. I've never paid more because of who slabbed a coin.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
443 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will find as many opinions on grading services as there are collectors themselves. I personally don't use ANACS nor would I trust any grade they assign. I also would never pay the same price for an ANACS coin as I would for NGC or PCGS. I can only speak for the Korean coin collecting market, but ANACS holders in Korea might as well have the same value as the raw coin itself. They just don't agree with the grades given, as they just seem to over grade coins. If I were you and it was my coin, I would send it in for crossover, but that is your choice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3050 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people buy the slab, others buy the coin.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. Could someone please give me an opinion on the comparison of the two (i.e., are they about the same or is one better than the other)?

Thanks.

Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
2895 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The link provided for the ANACS(?) example leads to a 'Can't Find' page on Ebay.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54606 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, only the first shows.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK. Sorry. Here are the photos of my coin.

Thanks.

Bill

Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The strong date on the 62-D would be more desirable. I'd go somewhere between VF-20 to XF-40.

Wouldn't mind having any coin in any condition on any wrong planchet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54606 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I prefer the strong date as well.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
443 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some people buy the slab, others buy the coin.

Mmmm. If I may argue against your point: People buy PCGS and NGC slabbed coins because of confidence in the two companies' ability to certify and grade coins. While some may just "Buy Slabs", this is not the point I am making. I do not believe that anyone would pay the same amount for a coin in raw state as they would one that is certified by a trusted and competent TPC. I've been going to auctions for years and it always plays out this way.

I will argue that most folks will pay closer to a coin's value if it is graded by PCGS/NGC. ANACS just overgrades coins; quite consistently I might add. I do not trust their service or competency. Thus, I would never pay for an ANACS coins just because its slabbed and says "AU-58". I would assume the condition is actually worse and pay for the coin per condition not because its slabbed.

So to agree with your point, I would gladly pay for a brilliant example with great eye appeal at say MS-65 rather than pay premium for an MS-66 that doesn't look so nice to me. It is about the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3050 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've purchased coins from all 3 and so far NGC has graded coins the worst, I purchased a coin from NGC that had environmental damage and wasn't graded as such. I've also purchased a coin by PCGS that was PF69 and was nowhere near that. I've never purchased a coin graded by Anacs that I didn't see the grade given. I'm not saying that all companies don't screw up, but I never look at who slabbed the coin when I buy it. Slabs make sense when buying on eBay or places you can't physically see the coin, and I'll take a slabbed grade as a starting point (especially since people take terrible pictures). But I've purchased and returned coins that the grade was just wrong and that's happened with NGC and PCGS.

I'm also not buying the coins you are. If I was buying $1000+ coins I might be concerned about who slabbed it, but chances are that I wouldn't.
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay everyone. Thanks. When I receive it, I think I'll put the ANACS on EBay and see what kind of interest it gets.

I appreciate all your insights.

Best,

Bill
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My ANACS Coin Grades

Let's see them all. Just take a screen shot of the ANACS status page and post it here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3050 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck! I hope you get a lot for the coin.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
443 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm also not buying the coins you are. If I was buying $1000+ coins I might be concerned about who slabbed it, but chances are that I wouldn't.

I guess this is a bit of it too. The Korean coin collecting market is addicted to NGC and slabbed coins.

Your point about not being able to physically examining them too is well put. I also agree that ANACS can do a good job as well. So, I'm not saying noone should trust ANACS, just that it doesn't fly well in our market.

Quote:
I think I'll put the ANACS on EBay and see what kind of interest it gets.

I will be on the lookout. :)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 466Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05