Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Curious To See What This Dateless Copper Sells For ....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The mate to my avatar is up for bids on eBay, and the auction closes today. (It's not my coin.) There are but two of this variety known, Brunk # P-573. This is a good example of how a known counterstamp can greatly increase the value of a virtually worthless coin in basal state.

Here's the auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133643516839

Lemuel Pomeroy was a gunsmith who fulfilled government contracts for militia rifles. He was located in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. His L.POMEROY name stamp on the coin matches that on his surviving rifles. BTW, the seller notes an IC mark that is clearly JC on my example. This was possibly the mark of James Carrington, a U.S. arms inspector.

Edited by ExoGuy
01/27/2021 12:01 pm
Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like plenty of bidding interest on it. Very interesting (to me).
I'll watch it.
Thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. Lots of bidding activity. Cool that it's the mate to your avatar. With so few examples out there I'll be really interested in what it goes for.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1336 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to see there's some interest in this post, I am.

Auction records tend to be the best way to gauge market value on exonumia. One problem is that there are so few surviving examples of the great majority of counterstamped coins that auction prices can go crazy at times. Last summer, I acquired a c/s (about a dozen known) that had been on my want list for 25 years. On the plus side, there are no album holes to fill!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7634 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it might reach $375 to $425 range. It sure is a neat piece with a good clear C/S on it. A neat piece for sure, the fact the same C/S stamp is used on rifles of the era might make it worth even more to a gun/military collector as well.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold .... $586.76 .... That's the spirit! ....

Got mine, on a VG+ 1803 cent, about 20 years ago, at a fourth of that price. The seller's other early gunsmith stamp on a 1795 cent just fetched a comparable price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7809 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:39 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever tried to acquire one of his rifles ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  01:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you ever tried to acquire one of his rifles ?

No, I haven't. I have some three dozen or more gunsmith c/s's, and purchasing firearms with matching marks would be quite costly and cumbersome. That said, I do have many pieces of silverware and cutlery that bear marks matching silversmith and cutler c/s's. I also enjoy finding early daguerreotypes/ambrotypes that bear matching coin stampings. These smaller go-alongs don't take up as much room in the man cave.

Just having a photo of a given firearm's mark helps make a slam-dunk attribution for a counterstamp. The same holds true for the silversmith hallmarks, yet the silverware tends to be quite affordable; this, even though the utensils are predominantly pre-Civil War issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7634 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  03:32 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well to say I was just a bit off the final price. It went for a nice price I think. I had missed it was an ex-Bowers collection coin, I would have upped my estimate by $80-100 more, and I would have still been on the low side. Impressive and Exo a neat piece as a companion to yours. Thanks for sharing this.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3809 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Westcoin .... There are buyers for whom provenance is desirable, but I'm not one of them. That said, I do happen to have many pieces that once resided in notable collections. Many of mine came from Bowers' boxes via a notable exonumia dealer who was peddling them on the Q-T for some years. I was surprised that Dave never attributed many of his "maverick" c/s's that I was able to later peg. My guess is that Dave's time was more focused on the higher priced material that routinely passed through his hands.

Getting back to the subject coin, the strong bidding may be somewhat due to the fact that this specimen was a plate coin in Brunk's book. One can't be too fussy about acquiring rare c/s's on basal state coins, but readily identified host coins are certainly preferable for most collectors.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05