Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle Cent - Grade & Opinion Please?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 490Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
598 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this Flying Eagle on eBay. Being sold as "AU++" although I think it is low AU at most. Too much wear on the breast and tail feathers.
The reverse has some grey blobs at K7 and K10, which I am not sure what it is. Any guesses?

Pillar of the Community
United States
9778 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have this one at XF45
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF/AU details (cleaned or altered surfaces).
Edited by Coinfrog
01/27/2021 11:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 Details, agreed the surfaces don't look original.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5148 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget.
FE's were struck on CuNi planchets.
Their color WILL be different.
I don't see a problem with any of your thinking on the grade.
But I don't see it as a DETAILS coin.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2842 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF Details Cleaned - I am seeing hairlines. With the possible cleaning and color difference between obverse and reverse, I would pass.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14868 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 to AU-50 , have to agree with Kanga , I don't think it's a cleaned coin . Wear on the high spots might be making it look off .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1336 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF45 - maybe an older cleaning but straight grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54762 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was referring to the reverse. That's not a natural surface to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
598 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was referring to the reverse. That's not a natural surface to me.

The reverse does look a bit like it was colored with a bronze paint. If you look closely, the top rim has some silver poking through the bronze.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3477 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would like to see pictures in natural sunlight.

There is a red tint to the surfaces of this FE.

NOT AU - you are correct - too much wear.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with frog, CuNi aside, the reverse surfaces look altered. The color difference between obverse and reverse looks to be lighting, and not my concern. Looks like it may have been cleaned with a mild acid and has not yet retoned. can't pinpoint exactly what, but this just looks off and not original, IMO.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1336 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is being photographed through the mylar of a 2x2. Can the mylar be scattering light making the surface look strange? I remember reading on here of people saying for the coins to be removed from their 2x2 before photographing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That can definitely play a factor @Rothery. If it were me, based on these pics I'd pass unless the price was low and it had a solid return policy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7634 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at a solid EF45 can't say there is an obvious cleaning in the past, but I always assume most coins of this era and older have been cleaned at some point along their journey to today.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
598 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
TIf it were me, based on these pics I'd pass unless the price was low and it had a solid return policy.

It has a 30-day free return policy. The seller gets top reviews too.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 490Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05