Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Charles II Crown

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,032Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  4:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Crowncollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I reported a coin to Ebay several days ago that I was pretty sure was a fake - after first asking the seller whether it was a fake and receiving no reply.

The coin, a 1667 Charles II Crown, has just sold for 155. Do you agree with me that this is a fake and if so, what should I do?
I feel sorry for some naive coin collector who may have just been badly ripped off.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-....m1438.l2649
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake to me. Wrong font and Charles looks way to happy. BEWARE the zero Feedback seller.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18429 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the texture of the metal coin pictured, is difficult to tell if fake or not.
I strongly prefer to inspect every coin in hand that I may consider to buy. I usually carry 4x high magnification glasses with me.
Not keen on eBay, unless I know the seller personally.

With COVID-19, my coin buying adventures have come to an almost complete stop. I have attended only one public numismatic auction view day in the last year. And that is despite the fact that the whole of Australia has recorded less than 100 community transmitted cases of CV in the last six months, with zero deaths.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4116 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing you can do now. A lot of fake stuff is sold on eBay despite our warnings, and that's just the way it goes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1301 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's real. Have a look at a similar coin of same approx year.

King charles II started with minting hammered coins from coronation in 1660 to 1662 then Introduced Milled coins from 1662 to 1685.

https://www.coinsbook.net/coins/sil...land-sp-3357

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9706 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100 % Counterfeit
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56796 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even a fool in a hurry can see that as fake.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4646 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting bidding pattern.

Two newbies (or a newbie and a shill) bid it up from 53 to 155. What a pity.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5681 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dearborn: Compare the eBay coin with the one in the link you provided more closely. Take a look at the nose on the portrait, the shape of the hair at the top, back of the head and the shape of the ribbon that extends beyond the left side of the portrait. I think the differences you'll see in just those three areas will be enough to convince that the eBay coin is a fake.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1301 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok, I'll concede.. (I need to train my eyes some more..)
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1038 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of a plethora of accounts opened recently to sell fakes, the coin (which is 100% fake) will be shipped from Poland....
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beware the high Feedback sellers as well. I have been looking at several of the fakes currently on eBay from sellers with high Feedback. If you check who left the Feedback, it is mostly "private" bidders - i.e. shill bidders who run it up, win, and then leave Feedback. My guess is these sellers have found a way to beat eBay fees when they buy back their own coin and then leave themselves Feedback!
Edited by John K
02/02/2021 7:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrible fake, the rim is wrong too and looks like the facsimile 1694 crown in the auctions below. Whoever sold this should be arrested and whoever bought it should be slapped for being a complete numbskull.

China has a lot to answer for with its fakes.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
588 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That there are bids on this one leaves me speechless. Some people need protecting from themselves.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nice-Mys...AOSwQTxgExjo
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1038 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add andyg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
]It's back again (or another one)
Another seller from this group....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britain-...AOSw199gIA7u
United Kingdom
7 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I appear to be the person who appears to have purchased this coin on ebay. This was one of my first purchases as a coin collector, I did all the reasonable checks including enquiring if the coin was real. But It took almost 3 weeks to arrive, from Poland, and now I am 1 month further down the road in my experience it seemed to me that this was indeed fake.I have sent another email to the seller for comment and am now awaiting a response but would appreciate any advice from you more experienced collectors.

Thank you
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,032Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05