Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Florin Friday: 1927 Canberra George V Proof Florin PCGS PR67, Only 400 Struck.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,700Next Topic
Page: of 2
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  1:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
George V Proof Florin 1927 Canberra, KM31, Proof 67 PCGS, a stunning example of this classic rarity, struck for opening of the new Parliament House in Canberra. Only 400 were struck in Proof and this is the finest we can remember seeing. The surfaces are fully mirrored with light amber patina in the legends.

Check out Florins on ebay.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series
Pillar of the Community
Australia
991 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always liked that coin, and to see it in Proof - just lovely! Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2407 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. What a beautiful coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
874 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just amazing.
Learn More...
United States
106618 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19266 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The very first design of George Kruger Gray, and arguably his best. He went on to design dozens of designs for British and British Commonwealth coinages that went into wide scale circulation.

The letters 'K' and 'G' can be seen in the scrolls below the raised date oval.

Proofs show three steps at the doorway at the end of the driveway approach to be building.
MS+ circulation strikes that also three full steps are probably rarer that the proofs.
This was a low point in the design and it had to be, to allow a full strike up of detail of the King's head on the obverse.

Over the years at auction view days, I have seen 3 or 4 proofs of this coin, but only one example of a business strike in MS+ condition, with all three steps fully struck up.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3343 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is my slabbed coin. A MS63.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
401 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The proof dies were also used to strike some regular business strikes.
Normal planchets and pressure.
Most of the die markers are still visible.
A fair number were made before the dies cracked.
A man who tells lies merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
Edited by echidna
02/12/2021 11:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19266 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ triggersmob:
An exceptional coin in this condition and a three stepper, not often seen, even with just pictures.

Could be a coin as indicated by echidna.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3343 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the extra info guys.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3189 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2021  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are stunning my AU is not even worth showing here!

The proof one is wonderful with a nice tone emerging.
The coin was one of the most stunning designs ever!

The 1988 $5 Parliament House was less stunning.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
788 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly even scarcer than the Proofs and the 3 step florins are the prooflike florins (circulation strikes on unused proof blanks). I'm only aware of 3 such examples in MS grades and only one has the adjective "prooflike" on the slab which is below the MS63 grade. For some reason they won't call it MS63PL though.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
704 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,great Coins,i have one somewhere with 3 steps and severe die cracks thru the reverse lettering,must have been one of the last coins struck with that reverse die.
As mentioned above I read back in the 1960's the die strike pressure was reduced to try and get some longtivity in the Dies and one of the casualties were the steps.
I'll throw a Pic. up when I find it.

This thread may bring Trout back,LOL.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19266 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ nealeffendi: I am not surprised to read your report. Reason for this is the fact that the 1927 PH Florin was intended for circulation, and as the Great Depression approached, most who found such a nice coin in their pocket, were nevertheless most tempted to continue to spend, rather than keep them.

Although much more common in VF and EF grades than the standard definitive 1927 Florin, a genuine PH Florin 3 stepper in high MS grades is a seriously scarce coin, with high collector demand amongst those who know of their background.

I have about a dozen 1927 PH Florin in above average condition, but no genuine 3 stepper in MS60 or better, despite searching over hundreds of examples over a period of perhaps 20 years or more.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
788 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sel, my understanding is that the "prooflike" florins were regular strikes struck on the specially prepared blanks (highly polished) that were meant for the proofs. That MS63 with "prooflike" on the insert was previously owned by Trout. He had actually sent it in to get the letters "PL" put after the 63 but no dice so as far as I'm aware it is the only example of a pre decimal with the word "prooflike" on the insert. Trout and his missus went Grey Nomading a few years back and he downsized his collection, that's how I snapped it up.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3343 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  03:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin I showed previously was a Trout coin too.

OFEC count = 237
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,700Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: