Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

To Dip Or Not Fingerprint (1964 Kennedy Half Dollar)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 791Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2891 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  11:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I put the BU 1964 Kennedy in a flip about a year ago. At that time there was no visible fingerprint around the date. A quick dip should remove the fingerprint. Would you dip the coin?

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38482 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You would need to dip it in 100% pure acetone,but being that it has been on it for 1 year chances are it will not come off. To remove it,you would need to dip in something like eZest,and that will damage the coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3574 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, it's highly unlikely the finger print can be removed. An acetone soak won't hurt, but I suspect the print will remain. If the soak was accomplished within a few minutes of the print being applied, then a better outcome could been expected.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2982 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you're talking about dipping it in eZest or something similar to remove the print. A quick dip probably won't hurt, and there's not much to lose. The question is whether the print will come off before you lose much luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2891 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dip that I am talking about is eZest. I just put the coin in acetone to see if it makes any difference.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55821 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much at risk with a '64 Kennedy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2891 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Beside acetone, I wouldn't mess with it. You may end up with a dull looking coin only worth bullion

A quick 2 or 3 second dip in eZest will not dull the coin as the the coin has never been dipped. It came directly out of a original roll. A quick dip will give it the blast white look.

What is better a dipped coin or a coin with a fingerprint?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A quick 2 or 3 second dip in eZest will not dull the coin as the the coin has never been dipped. It came directly out of a original roll. A quick dip will give it the blast white look.

Well then what are you waiting for - get that coin into some eZest PRONTO!
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
02/12/2021 1:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about selling this coin and buying a new MS-something coin instead?
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about selling this coin and buying a new MS-something coin instead?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3049 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is better a dipped coin or a coin with a fingerprint?

That is a good question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2891 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the coin after 4 hours in acetone. Fingerprint is still there. I am going to dip it in eZest for about 3 seconds and take another photo and post. I am not interested in selling as I got about a dozen of the 1964 BU Kennedys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3049 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cant wait to see
Pillar of the Community
United States
3574 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't suppose a bar of Zest soap would work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2891 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The evidence of my fingerprint on this coin is gone after a 3 second dip in eZest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The finger print may be gone, but look at that loss of luster to the left of the ear and the enhanced scratch at the mouth!
Shouldn't have dipped the whole coin...
Edited by NumisEd
02/12/2021 5:26 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 791Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05