Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A 1995 D LMC DDO?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 561Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  11:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm still having a bit of an issue seeing these doubled-die coins. I've looked at all of the websites like doubleddie.com, Variety Vista, Lincoln Cents Online and tons of photos-- and I'm like what is that arrow pointing at? Some are so subtle that I just do not see any doubling. I'll keep working at it. How about this 1995 D LMC? I'm thinking that "IN GOD WE" is doubled? I'm thinking that LIBERTY is Machine Doubling? Thanks for helping me out!

Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hybrid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
5405 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Machine Doubling. Use the search box top left of every page here on CCF to find doubled die examples.
ša va bien aller

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I am having issues learning from pictures because they really do not show depth. This coin, to me, looks like many coins I see that say they are doubled. I know I will eventually understand all of this. LOL
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38500 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do we not have the option to delete an entire thread that we started? I'd like to delete this thread instead of having people waste their time looking at it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38500 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a waste of time, others may learn from it.
John1
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a waste of time, others may learn from it.

Thanks, John, that makes sense now that you've said that. I reckon I wouldn't learn much if everyone deleted their posts!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50104 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The devices are widened on the DDO:

Note on the DDO, the devices are enlarged? Note on your coin the affected areas are on the outside edge of the device. Where Machine Doubling happens. A doubled die, has the die doubled. Machine Doubling is altered after the strike by the machine.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/15/2021 6:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a very hard time deciphering Machine Doubling from a doubled die . Hope it helps knowing your not alone. Good luck hunting.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also have a very hard time deciphering Machine Doubling from a doubled die . Hope it helps knowing your not alone. Good luck hunting.

It truly can be confusing, and it seems like we are not alone in the confusion. From what I've read, it seems to be one of the most confusing aspects to collecting error coins. Doubled dies, Machine Doubling, split plate doubling, etc... but hey, we'll get it sooner or later!
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note on the DDO, the devices are enlarged? Note on your coin the affected areas are on the outside edge of the device. Where Machine Doubling happens. A doubled die, has the die doubled. Machine Doubling is altered after the strike by the machine.

Thanks, Coop, I appreciate your help in this. I had an idea to make a comparison graphic from the one you posted, mostly so I could see the difference between the two in one simple view. Hopefully this will help others as well. You can really see the difference in the "IN GOD WE".

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"and I'm like what is that arrow pointing at? "

Please don't think this post is in vain. Your post was very good, and very valid, and others will learn from it. Excellent pictures by the way!
In reference to the "arrows" and what are they pointing at. Some of the websites you are looking at describe the details of a coin in great detail while putting arrows on certain areas of the coin. What I have seen is that these arrows are usually pointing out minute details of things such as die dots, die clashes, die cracks, die chips and die scratches in the effort to give markers which can identify a particular variety. Hope this helps and makes sense.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38500 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phantasm1970,
Make sure to read and bookmark the link I posted earlier.
There are many forms of doubling to learn,here is another link to read and bookmark,make sure to click on their pics to enlarge http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...Doubling.htm
Also,what your thinking that are errors are actually varieties.
John1
Edited by John1
02/16/2021 04:37 am
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too learn from questions brought to these experts, so please continue asking. I have begun to search my coins differently. Instead of looking for doubled dies, I look to disprove anything that looks wrong. Moving the coin so that light shines from every angle tends to disprove a lot of doubled dies. Many well-know doubled dies can be confirmed by their die gouges/scratches. Most of the variety sites list die gouges/scratches to go along with the doubling.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50104 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes we think that the questions are easy. Probably the MD is one of the biggest hurdles to over come when we are new. So I keep trying with different answers. Sometimes I find a new way to put it and it helps others also that have the same question, but haven't asked the question. So it is all good. To me seeing, lets it sink in. Thus all the images. I try to show, what I see on the images. That seems to me worth a lot more than a long explanation without them.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05