Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Track Your Collection?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 677Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Russian Federation
202 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  01:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Title edited by staff

I would like to know how the participants of this forum keep track of their collection.
I keep my account on the Ucoins website, as well as in my notebook, but now I thought that in the notebook I should only enter information about purchases(when I bought it, how much I paid, and a brief information about the coin(year, country))
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18354 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. I keep paper records of all major purchases in a separate folder to help prove provenance.
2. All coins fully described on the 2x2 which contains them.
3. I have a parallel photo album of the most valuable coins, photos also arranged in the date order of the coins.
4. Have supporting numismatic library of perhaps 200 books and research papers.
5. I have my computer in a spare bedroom, where all of the above is also kept. I often refer jokingly to the whole setup as my 'coin laboratory'.

I collect World coins from the start of coinage 2,500 years ago, all centuries, all cultures.
The best way to make sense of such a diverse collection is to arrange them in date order, and as such, describes the whole of numismatics from the first coins struck up until modern times. (Sorry, - don't have any examples of Lap Island Stone Money )

Modern software for coin location tends to be too restrictive for my needs. Because I refer to the collection a lot, coins are relatively easy yo find

As a working collection of perhaps 2,500 coins, I constantly refer to it as a student would, and only a few are kept in a very small safe.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4555 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel spreadsheet.

I have begun entering it into Numista, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1339 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UCoins is a fine site, but I use Numista backed up with a spreadsheet.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20166 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never use a web site of any kind to record anything of value. I use Excel to record all my coin information then transfer to a flash drive. I use two flash drives to make sure I have all the info. I then delete all such info from my computer. Placing anything on a web site of any kind nowadays is just asking to be hacked.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
18872 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spreadsheet. My solution for everything since before I had a PC.
Valued Member
Russian Federation
202 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps Excel will be the best solution for me, but unfortunately I do not know how to use it. How is your table designed ?
Bulgaria
27 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MichaelSH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a small notebook and a large Excel spreadsheet that I've been too lazy to update it since the 2nd of December.
Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps Excel will be the best solution for me, but unfortunately I do not know how to use it. How is your table designed ?
I have a separate worksheet for each album. Some columns vary, but most US sheets have Year, Mint, Variety, Value, Purchase Date, Paid, Grade, and Notes. The "world coin" sheets add columns for Country and KM#. Not all cells have information though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3678 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel

I keep track of date/mint mark, denomination/series, grade, current value, acquisition price, notes

If the coins are in an album, I group them by that. I also have sections for single coins and proof/mint sets.
Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also have sections for single coins and proof/mint sets.
Yes, I have a worksheet just for all the OGP items in my collection. It has grown a lot the last ten years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1042 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excel spread sheet. 2 different file one for mint /uncirculated coins and one for coins taken out of circulation and placed in albums or folders.

all listed by date/mint mark, # of coins minted, purchase date, Purchase price, bought from who, grade, then current value

All collums with prices are then totaled up for a grand total.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used the coin elite software for years. Easy to use and you can make your own formats to add anything you want. I would highly recommend it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2917 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I store images of all my coins in the CCF gallery and that is a tool I can refer to from anywhere. It's also handy to refer other people to when looking for trades. The images are also stored on my computer and backed up on second remote storage device. Also keep information on every coin on an Excel spreadsheet.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I catalog my coins on numista, which I find very easy to use. You can download an excel spreadsheet anytime you'd like. You can enter private info about each coin when you catalog it.

I would love to get around to photographing my collection some day.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 677Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05