Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 D Half Dollar Strange Error Help ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 152Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Appletrader1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if someone could help me ID this error... several stars at the bottom of the coin look like they've been "smeared" along with the F in "FG".

Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larger, closer-in, sharp photos would help us see things more clearly. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8793 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please do not use screen shots. They are too pixilated and makes it
harder to see the detail.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
18600 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@apple, first welcome to CCF. Second, for sure better pics would help, but that smearing might be due to use of a tired die. As the dies start to wear out, striations appear in the fields of coins struck with them.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Appletrader1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still figuring this forum out so my apologies for the poor pics. I have trouble uploading pics because they always seem to be too large (file size) even when I use the photo optimizer tool... anyway, thanks for the help. I think it is a worn die. After some research it seems this is a known verity for the 72 D half dollar. It also seems to be a good example of the early to mid stage of wear as some coins with this issue look even worse. Anyways, I thought it was pretty cool to compare this to some pics of other coins with this same error and see how it progressed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 152Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05