Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Quarter With Washington On The Front, But The Back Has Kennedy

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 398Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Estros1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1964 quarter with Washington on the front, but the back has only Kennedy's head with no letters or date. I believe it is an error coin and was supposed to be Kennedy on a half dollar. Trying to upload pics. Anyone ever seen one?

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible novelty coin of dubious origin, or Magician's coin. Looking forward to the photos.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Estros1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4344 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A photo of the edge would also help.

Expect we will see the Kennedy has been machined down to the size of a quarter to make the Magician's coin mentioned by @ijn
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Estros1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much larger images, please.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Estros1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hopefully this is better, I'm starting to think you're right tho, pretty amazing machining skills!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54577 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a fine seam around the middle of the edge? If not, if you tap it sharply, does the Kennedy side fall out?
Learn More...
Australia
13542 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a mint error. The wide rim on the Kennedy side precludes it from being a "mule" of a Kennedy half and Washington quarter. It was manufactured from two separate coins, long after both coins left the mint.

What you have is a variation on the classic Magicians coin or "two headed coin". It would have been made by taking a normal silver quarter (silver is easier to work with than the clad coinage), and hollowing it out on a lathe to make a shallow dish. You then take a normal silver half dollar, and grind the reverse side away, grind it completely flat. You'd then need to lathe the disc down to quarter-size. Then, push the disc from the half dollar down into the dish that remains of the quarter dollar, and presto! a two-headed coin.

The seam that joins the two half-coins together is on the Kennedy side, just inside the rim.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1313 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very cool Magician's coin. They typically sell for around $10, but I would guess yours to be worth more than that due to both it being silver, older and cooler than most.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very neat never seen one great pick up keeper.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dsrn1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awesome coin! did you find that in change or from some sort of shop or dealer?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11360 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's similar to a Magician's coin. I've never seen one like that, but it's pretty cool!
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3996 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few magicians' coins. This is a nice variation which I would have picked up had I seen it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1264 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoping the Kennedy is silver too.....
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Estros1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was passed down to me from relatives, it is pretty cool, I can now see the tiny lip on the Kennedy side. Thank you all for your input! Someone definitely took there time making it, it's very precise fit.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 398Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05