Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884-O Morgan Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 207Next Topic  
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1884-O Morgan I think high AU but I'mvery new to this.

Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

Thanks for posting. Photos are always imperfect but it looks like you've done a good job on these. My guess is that you are in the right neighborhood with AU but would need to see in person how much luster is left on the coin. Personally I like to see the lettering crisper for a high AU, especially with slight wear on the cheek. It's also hard to tell definitively what cleaning might have occurred in the past, given some discolorations (that also could be influenced by lighting). If prior cleaning is problematic then a top grading service would likely call it something like "AU Details (Cleaned)." Others here at CCF really know a lot more about these things.

If you are not familiar with VAM World Wiki (Google "Vamworld and 1884 O") or NGCcoin.com's Variety Plus, you should check them out to see if any varieties or errors can be found on a coin. Most often it seems that things like die cracks are more interesting than valuable in learning the history of the minting that made your coin.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea lighting is a big issue I am struggling with when trying to take photos. also slight focus issues, because in person the liberty on the head band is crisp. possible old cleaning but I know they have been untouched since 1980 when my great grandfather passed.
Edited by PCM
02/22/2021 10:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54844 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-55, but pics with more light on the obverse surfaces would be helpful. Those scratches look deep.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9134 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  12:47 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
58 sharpness but low eye appeal due to marks, abrasions and that hard hit on the cheek, luster breaks a lot, would probably holder as a 50 or at most a 53.
Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
473 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU 55 could be MS60 if there is more lustre than the photos suggest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9794 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
typically the 84(O) are soft in strike. yours is above average for strike. the hair around the ear is defined and feathers on the breast are there. luster is broken and missing across both sides and there is not much remaining on the reverse, maybe 25% on the obverse. its difficult to determine, because of the lighting, if what appears to be a scratch across the chin is deep or surface. my gut is saying the scratch is not deep enough to pull a details designation. the reverse is leading me to an AU grade but lack of luster and the other issues noted is keeping me from going 58. my grade is AU55.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9578 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mid AU for me, 53 possibly 55. That mark across the lower jaw looks severe.
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21948 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Under all the toning I think there is an AU-58 coin.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PCM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really have got to figure out the lighting thing. Ive tried taking a few more pictures and they all seem to have this same tone even when the coin doesn't.
Edited by PCM
02/23/2021 9:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5408 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luster loss on the reverse would drop it below mint state. The strike does look above-average for an O-mint Morgan. The gash along the jaw should net-grade the coin to AU-55 at best.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 207Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05