Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picked Up A 1854 Bank Of Upper Canada Halfpenny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 437Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2374 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
at the LCS for $3 US. How did I do?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9475 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fairly easy halfpenny to find but not at that price. You did OK. Shipping costs?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
2374 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No shipping. LCS=Local Coin Shop.

I noticed where Coins and Canada list several die breaks, but this coin appears to have one at 12 on the cornucopia side; I didn't see that one referenced.
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 48 known die pairs for the 1854 1/2d token. The pictures make it hard to see the die markers but from your description it sounds like you may have Co #121 which is R1 or very common or possibly Co #129 which is R9 or extremely rare.

Please post large clear photos of the man's foot and the date with denticles from the obverse, also, close up shots of the die crack and the letter T and the Union Jack with the letters KE from the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2374 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, I only have a scanner and this is the greatest magnification it offers.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2568 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in a US LCS I think $3 is about right (you might've saved $2 off "full price")

it's a $10 coin on ebay, but after considering seller's fees and and buyer's shipping costs the value still sits around $3-5

that said, I have a biased towards dragon slayers, so NICE pick up!
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not easy given the resolution of the image, but I am almost certain that this is the variety Courteau #129, which Courteau gives a rarity index of 7 out of 10 (Very rare).

However, according to my research to date, this variety seems much more common, since I found it in about 3.2% of all the 1/2 Penny 1854 tokens examined. Which according to my scale would give it a rarity index of only 3 out of 10 (Moderately common).

For its value, just a few bucks...

Description of this variety from my book on the subject:
Edited by ainsivalavie
03/22/2021 11:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2374 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for that identification. That looks dead on!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 437Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05