Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan Dollar Set "Description" ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 287Next Topic  
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  01:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would love to hear opinions and experience with Morgan sets ... what is "considered" a set and how many different coins are included.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5207 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Set" is rather a vague term and requires additional descriptors.
Fortunately that allows you to make your own personal definition of a set.

A date set would be one of each date -- only.
A date/mint mark set would be one of each date/mint mark combination.
A Red Book set would be one of each listed in the Red Book.
A business strike set would exclude the proof coin (yeah, no 1895).
A VAM set would be one of everything in the Van Allen/Mallis Morgan catalog.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7745 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of ways to build a "set" of Morgan dollars as Kanga said.

I've done the following or come close to completing:

Normal business strikes Date & Mint Mark set - 96 coins

Same as above but add in proof strikes - 123 coins

Same but now add in the major varieties - 148 coins

Year/Date Set (one from each year made) - 28 coins required in this set

Proof Strikes only - 27 coins

Mint Set - Philadelphia, San Francisco, Carson City, New Orleans, Denver - 5 coins in this set

Top 100 VAM set from Michael Fey and Jeff Oxman's TOP 100 VAMs Book http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c..._Morgan_VAMs basically 100 coins in the set or 209 if every variation is collected.

Hot 50 VAM set http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c..._Morgan_VAMs 50 coins for this set or 102 if you include all variations known currently.

There are a lot of various VAM sets to do, such as all VAMs of one particular date, All similar types of VAMS ie: O/S mint marks, B1 reverse long arrow shaft varieties of 1878-S. All the overdates, all over mint marks, all clashed, VAM World has a bunch of various sets to go after on their site (look to the left side menu). Various counts on coins to complete each of these sets.

8-Tail Feather Varieties Set (35 coins or with the sub varieties 57 total) One of the toughest sets to complete here, I only know one person to have completed this set - Jeff Oxman, and it took him over 40+ years searching, many years were way before most anyone had even heard of a VAM.

7/8 Tail Feather Varieties Set (13 coins or with sub varieties 26 total).

7-Tail Feather Varieties B1 reverse (15 coins), All 7-Tail Feather Reverse Sets have been completed, I know a couple of people that have all of them, it's a lot of coins and the number keeps changing as new varieties are found and others are eliminated or deemed counterfeits, or variations of already discovered coins. Not sure of the current counts but it's somewhere around 135 coins at least.

Then the Various HUB Design Type Set 8-TF, 7/8TF, 7-TF, (with or without variations of the 7-TF types) C-Type and D-Type. At least 5 coins possibly 25 coins with all sub HUB types included. Total 4 Obverse HUBS and 9 variations and 4 Reverse HUBS were used with 16 total variations over the years to create all Morgan dollars. http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...or_Hub_Types

You can get an idea of the various Registry sets that PCGS & NGC have created:

PCGS-https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/u-...s/dollars/17
NGC-https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...tes/dollars/
*NOTE* Both PCGS and NGS allow custom sets to be created - and why not? It only means more income for them, if you are slabbing coins for a set you custom built.

Currently ANACS, IGC and SEGS the other 3rd party graders don't have registry sets, though I hear ANACS is working on creating one for their coins soon. PCGS is only for their PCGS slabbed coins, NGC allows for both NGC and PCGS slabbed coins to be included in their registry sets.

Then there are grading sets which consist of one of each grade Poor-01 through MS-68/69 (or variations thereof), low ball sets (Lowest grade possible), toned color sets, if you have the money the highest graded sets (registry). Red Book sets (getting all coins listed in the Red Book) including the varieties.

So lots of ways to build a set of Morgan dollars. Many of these (excepting VAMs or substituting them for different known variety types) could be done for almost any series of coin, US or World as well as currency too.

So as you can see, there are a whole lot of ways to collect a set of Morgan dollars, or really any kind of coin/currency. Just remember the end goal is to have fun building the collection and to learn as you go.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
02/27/2021 10:02 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4723 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow westcoin. Impressive Morgan dollar collection you have put together. How long have you been collecting?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
7745 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I never completed most of them, and now I concentrate on early American coinage, colonials and related foreign coins, interesting ephemera, and of course my Two Cent die pair set. I really started collecting in 1980, though I had a small (very small) accumulation of interesting coins before that as a kid. I would have been starting 10th grade probably.

I had a couple of complete Peace dollar sets, a date/year set, Hubs Set and Mint Mark set, also an 1878 set of M/M, I've had most of the TOP 100 maybe 90+ of them, all of the 1878-S B1 reverses (long arrow shafts at once) sold the VAM-72 discovery piece to Larry Briggs before I knew what it was so I can include that one), All the O/S & O/CC (early and late die states on the 1882), probably 80% of the 1878-P set (8TF, 7/8TF and 7TF coins), I was collecting rusted die VAMs but sold them off a few years ago. Almost got into 1921 but thought better of it, that's when I started buying literature seriously instead.

Here is my old list of good Morgan dollar books to have, there have been quite a few new ones since I made this list. http://goccf.com/t/152565
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
02/27/2021 12:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great replies, folks! My 2 cents (ungraded and otherwise uncirculated) is that a Morgan "set" offered for sale is a yellow flag to me. My starting point in evaluating the set is the question: Why are these coins bundled together?

Other than a seller motivated by a need for cash regardless of discounts, sometimes none of "set" coins are that strong to be sold separately. Other times it seems that the seller is trying to get rid of hard-to-sell coins by including them with a better coin. Sometimes, the bundle is simply what the seller has and logic is not an issue.

There are other possibilities for motivation given evolving markets. The one that comes to mind with Morgans is that many buyers might not be able to afford expense Morgans in high grade, such as an 1893-S in any grade. Sellers who have one to offer probably will not sell that in a set unless it is included in a collection of all key dates or all Morgans.

If you looking to buy a "set" then I would caution why sell Morgans in a hot market as a set? I hope none of them are counterfeits...

For what it's worth.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
United States
7745 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a few nearly complete sets offered to me for sale over the years when I was a coin dealer by trade. Mostly from relatives selling off a deceased family member's set, usually in Dansco Albums (2 books) also. Many times the better coins were either missing or had been removed and sold to other people first. At least what I've seen myself. You are right a nearly complete set is rarely offered for sale by dealers, as the tough coins are just that - tough. Plus it's a large set and most collectors would want the challenge of building and putting their own set together I believe.

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the great feedback. Deciding the definition of "my set" will be the first order of business.

I am fascinated by the VAM possibilities ... does anyone use a microscope to examine for VAM or just loops ? Curious ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
7745 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  02:55 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mostly just a loupe (Bausch & Lomb APO Triplet 7x), but I do have a USB microscope and a stereoscope with .5-7X power range. I love my stereoscope but it's large and takes up a good part of the desk. It's comfortable for long term studying.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05