Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Commemorative Coin Series: Quick Bits #14 - 1936 York County Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 165Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5644 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  5:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In this edition of Quick Bits, I'm sharing three things about the York County Tercentenary coin that are either lesser-known or possibly previously-unknown.

1. LESSER-KNOWN FACT: Most collectors (and grading services) today look at the York County Tercentenary half dollar and assume that the side with the York County, ME Seal is the obverse; multiple reference books have listed it as such over the years. While this seems logical considering the Seal side is the side with a date - which is almost always the side of the coin that the Mint views as the obverse - the 1937 Annual Report of the Director of the Mint plainly states that the obverse is the side with a "View of old stockade on Saco River (Brown's Garrison)." So, officially, the undated garrison side is the coin's obverse. For years, I've considered the Seal side to be the obverse! How about you?

2. LESSER-KNOWN FACT: The name of the small stockade depicted on the obverse is Brown's Garrison; it was located in Saco, Maine. Brown's Garrison was built as a shelter for workers in a nearby sawmill owned by William Pepperell, Jr., Nathaniel Weare and Humphrey Scamman, Jr.; it served as protection against hostilities launched by local Native Americans.

The garrison consisted of several houses with a surrounding stockade; it was built on the same site as was occupied by the York National Bank building (circa 1936). The York National Bank served as the distributor of the York County commemorative coin on behalf of its legal sponsor - the Committee for the Commemoration of the Founding of York County.

The coin was designed by Walter Rich. The source material for his design was a woodcut of Brown's Garrison in The Proprietors of Saco; the booklet was written by Frank Cutter Deering and was privately published/printed by York National Bank of Saco, Maine in 1931. I can't attest to the accuracy of the booklet's depiction of the original garrison, but the coin's transfer of it is reasonably faithful - though a bit more crowded.

3. PREVIOUSLY-UNKNOWN FACT? The coin includes four stars: two are found on the obverse of the coin and two on the reverse. In searching for potential meanings for the four stars - outside of the numismatic references which all consider them to be generic/non-symbolic - I did come across one fact in York County's history for which "four" is significant. Four counties, either in whole or part, were formed from the original territory of York County - Cumberland (1760), Lincoln (1760) and part of Oxford (1805) counties were all carved from York County. Approximately 50 years later, in 1854, Sagadahoc County was carved from Lincoln County (not York County), that's why Lincoln County does not have a contiguous link to Cumberland/York County in the Maine map shown below. So, it's possible that the coin's four stars represent York, Cumberland, Lincoln and Oxford Counties.

Coincidence or hidden symbolism in the design created by Walter Rich? I'd like to think that Walter knew his York County history and that he added the four stars as symbols of the four counties but kept their meaning quiet to await independent discovery. (At least that's what I told myself after I "discovered" the possible connection!)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/02/2021 6:29 pm
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good to see this one get its own topic after the quick bit given in the "Post Your" threads.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7071 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is just amazing scholarship commems and I am personally very thankful to receive the benefit of your research and tremendous written descriptions.

Thank you indeed for all the sharing.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56623 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, a fine job once again.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5644 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck: There's so little back-and-forth discussion in the "Post Your..." threads that I can never tell if the posts are getting much attention. At least here, I know that a portion of the readers collect the classic series of US commemorative coins and might find these types of posts interesting. (I'll never be able to compete with the popularity of a "US Mint Product Schedule" thread , but I'm thankful for the engagement I do get!

@nickelsearcher: Thank you again for your very kind feedback. You're always too kind. I do try my best to provide original/novel content!

@Coinfrog: Nice to have you along again and for the continued positive feedback. Always appreciated!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 165Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05