Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2006 Series $100 Star Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 360Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  08:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add STKRollHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All, I recently got this $100 Bill back from a bank and noticed that it was in fantastic shape. No writing, folds, crimps, tears, or any marks at all. Then I notice it was a San Francisco Star note. After looking up the serial number, I noticed it is considered rare with a 320,000 run size. Does anyone have any advice on how to value it. It is certainly not worth getting it graded right? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3320 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect * star notes, but you'll have to take into consideration the effects of inflation. $100 is a lot of money to ti e up. Personally, I would put this note in a sleeve and store it, but that's me. Checking ebay sold, the raw are selling from $135 to $150 and slabbed EPQ 65/66 for $250 to $280. If the note is in CU condition, it makes a good candidate to get slabbed. Again, just remember you will lose 3% (or so) in inflation every year.

Checking Red Book, the value is $175. There isn't a great premium as these are still current.
Edited by hfjacinto
03/04/2021 12:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3123 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I like it. I have an example from the same run, but keep in mind that it's a low run in an ocean of 2006 $100 San Francisco replacement notes. Over 10 million printed and the leader in PMG's population report for this series. This is actually a good time to squirrel away cash. Inflation is below 2% and banks aren't paying squat in interest. I bought mine graded, but wouldn't grade it if I bought it raw. Nice note.

Learn More...
United States
98304 Posts
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add STKRollHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for the help. I'm just getting started into this whole collection thing and while a 75-100 premium may not seem like much, it's gonna help me pay the bills since I'm in college. But after looking at other graded examples, I may consider sending it to be graded. I've never had anything graded before and especially if it does well, it should be worth it. If y'all have anymore thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3123 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grading advice. Before submitting the note, check for folds. Lay the note on something flat and shine a light ACROSS the note. See the illustration below. The potential premium between GEM and AU is massive.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56077 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great illustration, Steve.

to the CCF!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 360Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05