Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Lincoln Wheat Cent Straight Clipped Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 487Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok I read it and kinda dont get it so I'm thinking the rim and the weak L in Liberty is the Blakeley effect. First clip I ever found (if thats what it is) and never seen the Blakeley effect. I know some are worth a bit, bit would this be worth much or just a collector example? What do yall think? Thank you...

Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My novice eyes say it looks like a yes from the obverse, but the reverse has me second guessing.

I'm really just curious to see what the experts say.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5625 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we please see the edge of the coin that is cut?
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry ran off to foriegn coins for a spell. Hope this helps...

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11521 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  02:51 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a genuine curved clip to me. It might be worth a couple dollars, but definitely a keeper.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5625 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, looks like a curved clip. Nice find

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, definitively a curve small clip coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3888 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice clip!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5229 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem is, it's so small that the Blakesley Effect did not occur.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The devices show that the die was polished and it weakened the devices strength. But that was a die alteration issue, but your coin is a mint error, because of the straight clip planchet. Note the Blakesley affect across the way on the rim? Real deal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/12/2021 08:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
REALLY? Wooohoooo. My first coin yall didnt shoot down out of the sky. 1944 LWC at that. Hard to believe that that was in circulation that long. Wow I'm excited now. Curved clip... I thought it was a straight clip. Thanks for your response and for your time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realized it was not a curved clip, (I usually recheck my posts, to see if everything is correct, and changed it)

How to know if it is a straight or curved clipped? On a curved clip, a cent could fit into the curve. On the straight clip, there is no area for a coin to be inserted into that area. Straight clips occur when the cutting edge of the stock material is not inserted correctly and the cutter is cutting over the edge of the metal. A curved clip happens a pre-cut area of the stock material when the metal is re-set in the clipping machine.

CoopHome: Straight and Curved clips. How does this happen
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
03/12/2021 09:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man I'm not gonna lie.... I thought it was a straight clip because it looked straight and a clean cut. Actually really like the example you posted coop. Makes it easy to explain .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56656 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dr. coop has all the toys!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50648 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if I don't have it, I add it to my collection. The goal? To make this as easy as possible to understand. More visual, than just something to read. I get lost in reading sometimes and I figure others may have the same difficulty?
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
517 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get lost in reading when I dont know some or all terminology and then lose interest in the reading but not the subject. I am a more on the job training type person then a book person. If I have or had a type of variety and error in my hand or a visual I can comprehend it alot better then reading it and not knowing what half of the terminology is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 487Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05