Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Numised's Whitman 20th & 21st Century Type Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,848Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  1:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After some deliberation, I decided to stop (and sell off) my half-finished 19th Century Type Set (as it had become too cost-prohibitive for me) and refocus on modern, affordable coins.

I decided to go with the Whitman 20th & 21st Century Type Album and start with Dollar coins. Today I finished the commemorative-style dollar section starting with the 1981-S SBA PR69DCAM and ending with the 2020-S Maryland/Hubble Telescope PR69DCAM.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start NumisEd. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress.
Edited by 88isgreat
03/13/2021 3:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1082 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it really worth buying these high-graded moderns to crack out when the same quality coins are readily available raw?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Is it really worth buying these high-graded moderns to crack out when the same quality coins are readily available raw?

I agree with you. They are nice coins but if doing albums I get raw.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Saves me time by not having to go through thousands of ads for raw coins attempting to ascertain a grade.
Besides, the graded stuff isn't that expensive. Often only a couple of dollars more than the raw coin (if you can find a raw coin in the first place, as they are NOT readily available in high proof grades).
Edited by NumisEd
03/13/2021 6:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11969 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start!

I agree that graded modern proof coins like these are relatively inexpensive, so it may be worth cracking them to make sure you're getting a high quality example.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Learn More...
United States
103557 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4841 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great choices for filling those holes....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the Hubble Telescope. And the coin was not easy to get as a regular proof. Most of these are sold as reverse proofs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3064 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is that a type 2 Suzy? and why 81 not 79 ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why 81 not 79 ?

No specific reason.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3064 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks sometime years mean things in type sets, like the 27 Peace in mine is for the year of grandmas birth.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed that Whitman updated the album. This is my 3rd page.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Whitman made a few changes/additions. I've got the new version.

Quote:
thanks sometime years mean things in type sets, like the 27 Peace in mine is for the year of grandmas birth.

I do plan to buy select coins for my type set from my birth year, but that year is before the SBA series.
Edited by NumisEd
03/15/2021 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where else did they change?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Where else did they change?

Not sure, I think they just added the American Innovation Dollar. My album has 41 holes.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 2,848Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05