Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Saturday: 1870-S Seated Liberty Dollar, NGC XF40

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 891Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  7:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The surfaces of this piece are bright throughout, with a pale layer of golden and lilac toning. The brightness and color is evenly matched on each side. Unlike several other circulated 1870-S dollars on the roster, there are no mentionable or distracting marks or other problems on this piece. Both sides show the normally expected number of small abrasions that a coin would receive from circulation or as a pocket piece; the brightness is also consistent with several years' residence in a pocket. The only larger mark that helps identify this as the Stickney-Miles-Queller piece is located to the left of the O in OF. The strike is soft, as always, on the head of Liberty. The mintmark is also predictably small, and it appears to have been weakly punched into the reverse die.

Read More: Coin of the Day Series

Check out certified Seated Liberty Dollars on ebay.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61651 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough date!
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCFPress: The surfaces of this piece are bright throughout, with a pale layer of golden and lilac toning.

Jbuck: I would love to see this one in my 7070 filling that last hole!

[Jbuck checks pricing... Faints]

Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly is the Stickney-Miles-Queller piece? What is the significance?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5643 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newguy22: the 1870-S dollar is a rare coin, with only about 10 known. The names represent previous documented owners of this specific coin. It's the pedigree, which is important to anyone who might potentially be shopping for an example.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Joabler!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2376 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see the merit of having this one for a pocket piece.

I might even leave it in the holder. Nah.

If ya got it flaunt it baby.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
03/23/2021 12:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to get a coin like these you all have been posting , ive never seen any of them be for.
As Above, So Below
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned previously, I most definitely need a coin like this... or her less attractive cousin... to finish of the 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3803 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crack it out of that slab, jbuck! Use your thumb to press it into place!
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know full well it would be cracked. But you also know I would not use my bare hands to insert it into the 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3803 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You know full well it would be cracked. But you also know I would not use my bare hands to insert it into the 7070.

Even I, aka "Ken the Cracker", wouldn't crack out a coin where there were only 10 known examples - so I was going for full on absurd with the "use your thumb" comment

Wow, just looked that coin up - Numismedia has it at $500k+
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, you knew I was full on silly when I made that claim.

I have yet to spend $500 on a coin, let alone $500k.

For the record, my no-motto Seated dollar, the reigning price champion, was $450 as presented here.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 891Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05