Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1867 Indian Head Cent For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 688Next Topic  

United States
48 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an 1867 Indian Head cent and it looks pretty gorgeous to me. It has a large cud on the rim of the obverse and what looks like a low point on the shield on the reverse. Nice Red color to it, I don't know if it has been cleaned.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56765 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell us about the luster, please.

to the CCF!
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks fairly shiny and details are a little sharper in person. Fields look smooth and no major marks I can see. Nice bright red and reflects cartwheel-like. Its hard to capture it with my camera.
Edited by daremonkee
03/14/2021 1:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
781 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep the light low and at a single source and diffused to capture luster best in my experience. (a sheet of paper over the light source helps with the diffusing of light)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8517 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never buy a coin like this raw personally. Very likely it's been played with
Pillar of the Community
United States
3020 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see much luster, and the color might be affected by your white balance, but based on these photos I'd have to say Unc details, questionable color. It might look better in hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15188 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely something going on with obverse and reverse rims . You've got 2 die cracks on reverse and one on obverse . Genuine coin , does not look cleaned but there's a slight problem with the way the coin was photographed .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1976 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I played with the photos a bit. Wow, your coin has a collection of reverse die cracks. I see cracks at 12:00, 1:00, 4:00, 8:00 (extends all the way to the "C" of CENT), 10:00, and 11:00! The obverse rim cud is huge.

It looks like the color in the pics is a product of lighting and overexposure. I suspect the coin looks better in hand.

I can't get a good feel for grade here. I see possible luster disruption and what may be a touch of wear on the high points. That could also be the lighting playing tricks with my eyes.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56765 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No grade from me either. Just don't get a confident feel from these pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10040 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
try photographing with just natural light. it appears that you are using some type of overhead lighting which is washing out the coin and making it difficult to properly assess.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better photos needed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4393 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a Huntington coin?
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple more pics. I just cannot capture the luster with my camera. I ended up just sending it off today with a load of other coins I had planned on sending out. I will keep you guys updated of what it comes back as. Thank you everyone for your input so far. Sorry my pictures are absolute garbage.

United States
48 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daremonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ended up coming back from NGC as UNC Details, Cleaned. Little disappointing. But still a gorgeous coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10040 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hope it comes back straight for but I'm at Unc details also based on photos
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 688Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05