Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Global Shipping Program - Restricted Item

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 361Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  08:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sold the 1900 Paris Universal Expo medal shown below and it was purchased by a buyer in China through the global shipping program. Today I received an email from Ebay saying the item has been "deemed restricted". It will not be returned to me and strangely Ebay will refund the purchaser so I am not out any money. It seems however that this medal which is not very common will be destroyed.

Anyone have any idea why this would be restricted? It certainly does not have any controversial content.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2480 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one I've been looking for too.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8522 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a shame. Hope you can somehow get it back from eBay.

Could it have been a phrase or expression in your item description that has somehow been misinterpreted? I was trying to list some old transparencies of trains the other day, and one of my listings kept coming up with a warning that I was not permitted to list firearms! I've no idea what it was in my description that eBay thought was a firearm, but I went right through it, eliminating all the abbreviations (i.e. putting 'diesel multiple unit' in full instead of 'dmu'), and this seemed to do the trick.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4126 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you ask why? I would be quite interested to see the contract which gives them the right to seize and destroy things.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3035 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that under the global shipping program, if an item is undeliverable because it's a restricted item, eBay will make the buyer and seller whole, then take ownership of the item and potentially sell it to recover their costs. Not sure what that process is, but it seems unlikely that they would just destroy the item.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at my description and I do not see any red flags. The only thing I could even think of was in the title it's listed as 37mm. Could this have been flagged as 37mm artillery ammunition which IS restricted. Seems like a stretch.

As to what will happen to the medal, I can't see how Ebay will do anything other than dispose of it. I suppose they could open the package and sell it (on Ebay!!!) but I cannot see them doing that. I suppose they could sell undeliverable items in bulk but that seems risky from a liability standpoint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1133 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to this list on the FEDEX website, collectible coins are prohibited from import into China.

https://crossborder.fedex.com/us/as.../index.shtml
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting because I have shipped collectible currency to China recently with no issues.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, as a buyer, I wouldn't touch EBay's GSP with a barge pole and avoid listings that use it although I guess as a seller sending to China it would make sense.
I don't believe the item was deemed restricted by EBay. I once tried to purchase a 240V Laser display from China via EBay. When I tried to check-out and pay, EBay stated it was a restricted item in Australia and wouldn't allow payment to proceed. In actual fact, the item was perfectly legal in Australia and I could buy similar items (at more cost) from the local electronics stores. They were confusing it with a hand held laser pointer. There is no way you can talk to the people that make these decisions. I was banging my head against a brick-wall for 2 weeks and eventually gave up. Anyway, it seems that the buyer has already paid which is what makes me think EBay is not the culprit. EBay GSP is partnered with Pitney-Bowes and it is Pitney-Bowes that unpacks your item and repacks it so I suspect it is Pitney Bowes that has deemed it restricted. Probably a dishonest employer at a PB re-packing warehouse. Not sure what you can do though.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I asked the buyer about restrictions in China and received this reply.

China has restrictions on currency in circulation. There are no restrictions on non-circulating currencies and commemorative medals and customs duties will be charged if the amount exceeds a certain amount. I have bought many shooting medals outside China and received them safely.
It should be restrictions on ebay.

It appears this is just mistake by the Global Shipping Program.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 361Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05