Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880-S $1 Morgan Dollar #4

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,915Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
7828 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  11:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$180. Thoughts? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
596 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely tons of lustre. Must be MS65? Prooflike? Could be.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  04:42 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64 PL
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64 PL as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to see this one in hand. Grading from the photos, I'd say MS66 PL. Just don't see any major hits.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1079 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-66 PL. Nice large S mintmark as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2646 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 64+ The cheek looks 65 and the fields 64. I am not sure about the photo quality to add designation of PL. The reverse has a lot of die polish lines.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well struck typical for the year. the fields do appear to be PL. my only concern, and it could be the photo, is that the area around the nose and mouth may be missing luster. if that the case then MS64PL if not then MS65PL. if it that luster is broken then you paid full retain or little more than that. if the luster is there unbroken then you done good imo
Pillar of the Community
United States
701 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-65
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2138 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin!

Lots of die polishing lines on the obverse and reverse. The mirror effect is strong. It's impossible to measure the depth of reflectivity from the photos. Obverse and reverse reflectivity of 2"-4", even if clouded in places, would make PL. I'm comfortable seeing this as a very likely PL. Where I pause is the possibility of deeper reflectivity and whether it could be unbroken. The lighting, surface glare, and camera angle make it impossible to get a feel for DMPL possibility here. If this critter could make DMPL, you knocked it out of the park.

In terms of technical grade, I'm comfortable at 64/64+. I hesitate at 65 because of some of the surface lines on the obverse. (See the N-S lines west of the nose to the chin and the SW-NE lines east of the cap vee and west of the 5th and 6th right stars and the "M" of UNUM.) I can't get a good feel for whether they are surface chatter or simply a combination of lighting and die polishing lines. If they are chatter, it's capped at 64+. If not, it's a solid 65.

Bottom line: either a MS-65PL or an anything DMPL would be home run.

I see why you wanted this one. It's a great coin, with rock solid eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also say MS64+ PL. What are the vertical lines on the reverse? Die polishing or on the slab?
The orange is toning or your light source?
Either way, very appealing coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7828 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for your kind help. This one came in and I was more than just a little disappointed as the coin had two long rim hits in the cheek. On its way back to the previous owner now.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3072 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good choice to sent it back to the seller. It appears the seller's photos are juiced and photoshop to make the coin appear better than in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a shame, not even a hint of those marks on the seller pics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A $180 coin in a plastic coin flip?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 32 / Views: 1,915Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05