Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd 1986 Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 278Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Haven't a clue about this Lincoln cent. It appears to have missed the copper plating process and has the color of dull zinc. In addition the surfaces are severely pimpled like a cast copy would be but who would cast a worthless penny? The weight of this coin is 2.47 grams which seems normal. The diameter is a little larger than normal (should be 19mm and this is 19.4mm) and the coin seems a little thinner than normal too (supposed to be 1.55mm and this is 1.4mm)

Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People do all kinds of weird things to coins. Experiments, jewelry, boredom. I don't remember what does this though. Experts will for sure. I've seen some really informative threads on here that I have clearly forgotten, but it's PMD.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1655 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The little bumps are most likely from zinc dust that was plated over. So maybe a normal plated cent with some kind of environmental discoloration ? Others may know for sure.....
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
5404 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks like environmental or chemical damage, it may have spent time buried in acidic soil. The zinc surface appears to have had a chemical reaction on it rather than what is seen typically with zinc dust. Metal has a terrible reaction with soda soft drinks, perhaps this is a science experiment reject? Who knows. Bottom line is this poor cent has seen better days and now suffers from post mint damage ( PMD).

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
4661 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Plating bubbles + environmental damage. There's also a bit of a MAD.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38499 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with all the above.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the risk of piling on, I agree with the plating bubbles/environmental damage verdict.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's called a 'Texas Cent'.
I have a coin just like that. larger in diameter and no copper cladding. According to Coop and a few others, it turned out to be a squished cent and the cladding fell off revealing the zinc core. Even the weights between our 2 coins is very similar. only .02g difference.

Edit:
Please check out my original post:

http://goccf.com/t/394071
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Edited by Dearborn
04/06/2021 08:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50088 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. It was was probably placed between to pieces of leather and then squeezed that made the coin larger, and the plating falls off. as mentioned, the zinc dust, stayed with the coin.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting what people do to coins. I took another look at the edge of the coin and at the top of the upset rim on the obverse there appears to be a seam all around. It is at the top of the rim (not in the center of the edge). And the rim looks chamfered there leading me to suspect that someone bonded one surface to another and perhaps the pimples were a result of slag. Someone trying to perfect their counterfeiting skills on a worthless penny as a test?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50088 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No slag involved with zinc. The dust was plated onto the coin. When the plating were away, the zinc dust is till hanging around.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 278Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05