Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan Coin Poured In Display

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 362Next Topic  
Switzerland
11 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  1:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add swissly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello dear community
thank you for your help in other cases with fake Morgan dollars. In the last few months I bought a few fake coins but luckily I got my money back every time.
Now I could buy a customer gift from a bank for $ 30. It is about 25 to 30 years in the display.I wonder if the coin in the display is real, you can't check the coin in it. What do you think?
Greetings from Switzerland, swissly

Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I imagine it is real. Would need to see the obverse though to be sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3595 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, an image of the obverse will tell us much.
Switzerland
11 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swissly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the answers.
Unfortunately no picture of the back is available. It's an 1889CC. Joke. Only 1889:) Has anyone seen anything like this before? What would you pay for it if the coin is real? I think it`s nice to look at it every day on the desk. In my personal opinion, this is 100% real. Luster is incredible. I think it would receive a very good grading
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Switzerland
11 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swissly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - thanks for the links! You can find really everything about Morgans in this forum:)
I am surprised why a German bank has chosen a Morgan dollar as a customer gift and not a German historical old silver coin...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That does seem like an odd choice.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you read up on the Pittman Act of 1918, you'll find that during WWI, the German government began a propaganda campaign to discredit the UK's currency in India. The Germans convinced Indian citizens that British banknotes in that country could not be redeemed for silver. This led to a run on the British supply of silver. Also under the Pittman Act, 270,232,722 standard U.S. silver dollars were converted into bullion (259,121,554 for sale to Great Britain at $1 per fine ounce, plus mint charges, and 11,111,168 for subsidiary silver coinage).

Maybe in all of this, some surviving U.S. silver dollars made it to Germany?

Switzerland
11 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swissly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thoughts, halfamind!
The name of the bank was Allgemeine Deutsche Credit Anstalt and was founded in 1856. It was one of the largest banks in Germany and was mainly active in northern Germany. In 1983 it was taken over by the Rabobank Group. The customer gift must therefore be older than 1983. That should actually mean that the probability of a counterfeit should be lower. In addition, a bank is unlikely to give out fake coins as gifts, but it could also be that the symbolic value was important even then.
Probably no longer of interest to collectors. But what better way to preserve a silver coin than in this way under the exclusion of air? The coin can actually no longer age unless the light radiation plays a role or a chemical reaction with the plastic ...
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@swissly, for $30, I think I'd go ahead and take my chances and buy it.
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow - thanks for the links! You can find really everything about Morgans in this forum:)
You are welcome.
Switzerland
11 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swissly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello
here`s a picture of the other side of the coin. The dots are from the pastic and not on the surface of the coin.

Bye,
Klaus
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang, that's a nice one, almost makes me want to take a plane there!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 362Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05