Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 D Lincoln Cent With ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this in one of my roles and it looks weird.
Any of you experts know what it is?
Just added new clearer pics. I understand the damage to the thin layer on top but what would make these indents,
cuds that have come off or something on the die. the back of the coins has the same weird indents that have distorted the area around them.

Edited by Rubenstein
04/07/2021 2:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38463 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like zinc rot.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2818 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

the coin looks like it's just damaged. Copper plated zinc coins are seen like this quite often.
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with John1 and Yokozuna. Lincoln Cents made from 1983 to the present have a zinc core with a microscopicaly thin layer of copper plating (some 1982 cents were comprised of this composition as well due to 1982 being a transitional year for the Lincoln's metal components). I'm not a metallurgist by any stretch of the imagination but there are others here on this forum that are VERY Knowledgeable in metallurgy which is way outside of my pay grade admittedly so. Us laymen (strictly speaking about myself....lol, simply refer to this as zinc rot). Good luck.
Edited by Scuba1
04/07/2021 12:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly, the layer of cooper was only 10 to 15 microns.

Here by the photo I will go more for a planchet damage and the plated. The white we see in the photos could be the light reflection or an organic oxidation which it is a normal for zinc metal protection against corrosion. An angle and diffuse light of photos will show better if it is possible.
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, I'll try to post a better pic, just got my microscope so ill see if that helps with the lighting and focusing issue.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ruby, me I see others thing also on your coin, but my question is: Where is missing metal on your coin in front of the face what color is?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew our "Resident Metallurgy Scientist" Silviosi would show up!! Much better pics Rubenstein. Still considerable PMD in areas as well as zinc rot but the hole in front of Linc's face I now have a new perspective on....... not sure....
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rubenstein to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Scuba1, think I'll keep it for my Damaged coin collection.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
605 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ruby, if it is a delamin or plate default is not a scrap coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large area could be an extra big plating bubble that has collapsed, and zinc rot is showing it's ugly head. Definitely zinc rot around the date (where it usually starts). Spend it and keep searching!

ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49990 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse is showing marks like a ball point pen would leave, so this is an abused coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05