Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Lincoln Memorial Cent-Is The Craziness On This Coin Post-Mint Damage?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 678Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kgenks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I wanted to see if anyone had input on this crazy coin I found today. I've seen coins that have been damaged in circulation but I don't think the damage on this coin could have happened outside of the mint because the coin is stretched horizontally, Lincoln's head bulges in the back and you can see shapes and letters/numbers everywhere-including the edges of the coin!

Thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
647 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely post mint damage. There is nothing in the minting process that could result in that. The coin being out of shape is one proof of this. There is no way for a coin to get out of shape like this during minting because it is pressed between the dies holding it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3943 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, post strike damage--nice example. Copper is a rather soft metal and can be 'shaped' by heavy hits and dings, and being dragged under pressure on concrete. Not a mint error.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56861 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deliberate damage.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11540 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just damaged, unfortunately, but kinda wild looking.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How'de that pic of the 1980 get in there? Looks like the 1965 cent spent some time in a parking lot being run over
Everything can change in just one day.........
Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Learn More...
United States
19179 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes we call these "parking lot" cents sometimes.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15197 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was once caught in an escalator and dragged into the revolving steps .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
736 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is one of the most damaged coins I see. Nice example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1319 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How'de that pic of the 1980 get in there? Looks like the 1965 cent spent some time in a parking lot being run over

The '80 is on top of the '65 to show the deformation of the '65 coin.
Notice how you can see a bit of the '65 from under the '80.
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The '80 is on top of the '65 to show the deformation of the '65 coin.
Notice how you can see a bit of the '65 from under the '80.

Really?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
1319 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really?

Were you being sarcastic? If so , I guess I missed it. Long week and I'm brain dead from work.

Maybe I should go and
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Rothery...yes really...

@ Dearborn...maybe time to let the German Shepherds answer some posts and get some sleep buddy......
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
1319 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are right, Greasy Fingers. I'll be back in the morning. In the mean time, laurel and hardy (my shepards) have the mic.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kgenks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the 1980 is on top of the 65 to show the stretched deformity of the 65.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Were you being sarcastic?

No sir - I was trying to relate "Now I see".
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 678Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05