Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1856 Flying Eagle, What Should I Do?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,306Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Riggins1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently found this 1856 Flying Eagle cent, the date may be unclear but I'm pretty sure its 1856. I just wanted a few opinions and some sound advice about the coin. Thank you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

If it's possible, post some
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59365 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, pics for sue!

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
04/22/2021 10:38 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riggins1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59365 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much sharper close-ups of the date area, please.
Learn More...
United States
20056 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rig, first welcome to CCF. Second, in addition to a clearer pic of the front of this coin, can you please also measure and add the weight? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riggins1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize I should have included the details.

4.4 grams is what my less than perfect scales read.

Then the coin seems to be 19mm or just under due to wear of the coin.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riggins1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to submit clearer pictures, I am new to this so any suggestions or advice wouold be greatly appreciated for submitting better pictures.
Learn More...
United States
102028 Posts
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a possibility that this is a worn-down 1858 that looks like 1856, or it could be an altered date from 1858 to 1856. With only 2000 ever struck for presentation pieces, it is not too likely that is what you have, but honestly, you could still have a genuine specimen.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15585 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , odds are against it being a 56 , I'm thinking It's a 58 . When you say you found it , do you mean by metal detecting ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck - only 2000 minted in 1856.
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riggins1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made an attempt to provide different visual perspectives of the coin I found in a home I was tearing down in Lexington, Kentucky that had been in my family since the 1820's.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3650 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're pictures are terrible, I can't even tell that is a Flying Eagle. Until you post better pictures, its doubtful any one can help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2021  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, there is no need to be rude, you can tell it's a Flying Eagle cent but there's no need to just say "terrible"

Riggins1, for better pics try to get some more light into the pictures, try to focus the camera before taking a picture, and maybe zoom in a little less, since you can just make the picture bigger on here.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,306Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05