Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 Morgan Dollar MS62 PL

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 286Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
125 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  6:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to see what y'all thought about this coin. They are asking $110. Thanks

Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO.... its a good/fair price for a PL designation.
Edited by coin rejector
05/04/2021 7:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9604 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$110 sounds like fair market retail for this piece in MS62PL. I'd hope the coin looks a bit better (more PL) than in these images.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ask yourself (a year from now or longer), I'm I happy with this coin?...Are you buying the coin or the slab?
Myself, I'd pass and search for a 63PL. IMO small jump in price per grade
This one just looks too beat-up for me... just my 2 cents
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Edited by Greasy Fingers
05/04/2021 8:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2323 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That cheek has take a bit of a beating. Tough to really judge what's going on in the fields with the PL, but I wouldn't call this any better than MS61.
Pillar of the Community
United States
602 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for me I prefer at least a 63 but would rather have 64 in PL. Prooflikes show everything
Pillar of the Community
United States
2943 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a Morgan, the common date 81 is a is not a easy find in PL or DMPL. There are only 71 in MS62 PL graded by PCGS. The PL and DMPL coins show their marks especially in the fields and cheek. The 61, 62 and most 63's in PL are not typically attractive coins. I would put the OP coin in the unattractive group of low grade PL Morgan's. A lot of seasoned collectors of proof like Morgan's target the PL and DMPL coins in 64 and higher. You may want to consider saving your money and find a beautiful 1881 MS 64 PL with a few marks and strong mirrors. It may take you a year or longer to the find a nice 81 MS64 PL with strong mirrors, but you will have something special once you make the buy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4412 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
strongly...sound advice
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56864 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair price, but not a fan.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree a better grade would be the better choice, but the reason I'm interested in this is I can put this on hold and don't have to pay it off immediately that's why sometimes I put these type of coins on here it's something I can afford and won't put a big dent in my budget.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4226 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks a lot like the 1888-S that everyone said was cleaned and AU... I thought for a moment it was the same coin until I saw the date. I was at MS-62 on that one and am now starting to think maybe it's MS-62 PL too.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea that 1888 s Morgan sold immediately yesterday, I did end up buying this 1881 Morgan pl though. &
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10069 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats full retail for this coin. i'd only pull the trigger on it if I absolutely had to have a PL
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's full retail I can barely find one in the same grade or better I think it's worth more than $110. Was thinking $130 to $150.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 286Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05