Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896 Morgan 5 Coins Away From The Complete Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 411Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  9:29 pm Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, almost done, I thought I would throw this one out for guess's

PCGS

Has anyone else noticed Morgan's going up in price?

I read it was because of the anniversary of the 1921, any how, take a shot.

I have 3 more in the mail and that leaves the last 5 tough ones, and the price increase isn't helping :)

Everything in the set is 64 or above most being 65, but I think ill have to drop down on the grades to finish.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4537 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With just a glance, I have it at MS-66 (wish I could rotate your photo to see the cheek better)
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58050 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shaper images, please.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took it outside and re shot it in daylight. Best I can do.

Edited by farrider11
05/08/2021 12:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2996 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would the 2021 Morgans make it ten away?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2437 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65/65+. Really comes down to how those cheek hits look in hand, they look fairly superficial though, so could go 66.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8022 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS65/66 I can't tell how that chin/cheek looks though that is the key pick up point for grading this. Looks to have a fair amount luster and a really good strike for a late date 1890's Morgan.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
4537 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pixs... Makes the reverse look unbelieveable
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea the reverse is impressive. Being I posted the new pics yesterday, ill leave this go another 24 hours.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beautiful '96.

MS-63 and MS-64 are fairly common for the date, but anything higher is on the tough side. My first reaction was old school Gem BU. The more I look at the coin, the more I'm there, so add me to the MS-65 camp. That reverse is fantastic, and would hit MS-66. I just don't know if the net could nudge over that line.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65 here are the True View Pics, I'm half tempted to say undegraded, but it isn't worth the $$ to find out.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8022 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After seeing the hit on the cheek which is in the main focal point I can see this coin going MS63 now. Not even close to MS65, MS64 is still possible, I don't think it's under graded, I think your lucky it's in a MS65 holder at all to be honest. Any hit that deep in the main focal area like the cheek in front of the face profile or neck/chin area is a huge killer to getting above a MS64 grade in the Morgan series. Maybe that scrape isn't as bad as it seems from the photo (I do understand how light and a static photo isn't ideal, and it's look can change with the slightest tilt of the lamp source), but as long as it's there I don't see this ever going above MS65. As for luster in a late 90's coin it's above average for this coin and that helps.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/10/2021 4:33 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill take it :) the price was right :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05